What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look good to me. I made them because my wife loves them and I was inspired by:

Cooking aside, this lady is fun to watch. She also gives a good demo on rolling them.

I've watched a few of her videos.
Another one I watch is Sip and Feast He makes Italian food at home that you would typically find at NY/CT/NJ Italian restaurants.

I smoked 3 full racks of spare ribs, along with some Keilbasa Beef sausage!
Then I finished them off in the oven,
"low and slow" for a few more hours,
'til the meat was falling of the bone!!
Accompanied with sides of southern style mixed greens and green beans, corn muffins w/ whole corn cornels and green chilis in them! And of course lots of great Beer and Wine to wash it all down!!
Great Friends and My Beautiful Wife to enjoy it all with!!
It was a great Saturday night!!!
Cheers to Life!!
🍺😎

2017 Weyerbacher Quad. One of my favorite quads. Gets better with age. My kind of meal!

I made smoked jalapeño popper stuffed burgers, that I then reverse seared (stuffed with Cream Cheese, sharp cheddar, and Diced jalapeños). Came out really solid. Next time I’ll make them a little smaller View attachment 761701

I have to admit that burger looks amazing. Looks like a 3 napkin burger. Gotta give that a try, even just as a topping.

Duck breast tonight.
1646790669834.png

We watch her because she's so fun.

That looks intriguing. Thank you. We have relatives who ADORE Italian food. I make a fair alfredo sauce, lasagna and pizza but I don't have much experience with Italian food otherwise.

If you want to try something that is a bit of a pain but worth every minute, my favorite Parmigiana recipe is by Tyler Florence back when Tyler's Ultimate back when Food Network actually had cooking shows. Chicken Parmigiana Recipe | Tyler Florence | Food Network Just an amazing recipe and one I do for special occasions when friends are coming for dinner.

I make that sauce alone a lot as well, and it is just amazing with pasta. Of course, I am a Kalamata olive freak too :)

Busy weekend of cooking! Flew into Indy, then:

*Marinated & Grilled 50 portions of various chicken & pork & sirloin servings

*Made a double batch of Cooks Illustrated Minestrone and single batches of CI chili & beef stew

*Vac sealed all of it and loaded my mom’s freezer. She has dementia and shouldn’t use the stove. This’ll give her and her aide lots of ez-prep dinners for the next few months.

Planning. SpaceDust-ish clone for this weekend back home.

Attachments

• 394CC66C-C538-4D25-AD02-5472D66AF1BD.jpeg
    394CC66C-C538-4D25-AD02-5472D66AF1BD.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 7
Travis, those loaves you are making are just beautiful. Makes me drool. Sourdough is the one thing I miss most eating Keto - I do get some once or twice a year though.
Thank you! 4 loaves to date and so far so good :) And, even better, my wife, who was of the opinion that she did not really like sourdough when I created this starter, is there each time one comes out of the oven trying to get me to cut it too soon!

What is keto?

Keto is basically a more strict version of low carb. We eat NO sugar, NO gluten producing grains, very few other grains; there are about as many ways to do keto as there are people that do it! We prefer to eat pastured meats, eggs from hens that were not fed soy, mostly organic stuff, plenty of good fresh veggies, and fats that our bodies know how to use. Been doing it going on 5 years now. Did Atkins low carb prior to that since 2004.

Keto is basically a more strict version of low carb. We eat NO sugar, NO gluten producing grains, very few other grains; there are about as many ways to do keto as there are people that do it! We prefer to eat pastured meats, eggs from hens that were not fed soy, mostly organic stuff, plenty of good fresh veggies, and fats that our bodies know how to use. Been doing it going on 5 years now. Did Atkins low carb prior to that since 2004.

Sounds like my kind of diet. I don't need a diet (yet haha), but I like meat and veggies and don't eat much pasta. Now, I do like chocolate, but I don't eat many breads except the occasional pizza...

wait, is pizza off the list? That's a deal breaker :)

Sounds like my kind of diet. I don't need a diet (yet haha), but I like meat and veggies and don't eat much pasta. Now, I do like chocolate, but I don't eat many breads except the occasional pizza...

wait, is pizza off the list? That's a deal breaker :)
That’s what cauliflower crust is for… I’ve never had it, but I can’t imagine that it would be “just like” a real bread crust.

LOL, there are about a million recipes for every kind of keto pizza crust and for crustless pizza casseroles.

I eat plenty of chocolate too, of the sugar free variety - lots of that available too!
Wife did Keto for a while, and I cooked to support it. Tried a bunch of different pizza crusts including crustless, cauliflower, almond flour, etc. Never found anything passable. I do still have a handful of Keto recipes that were actually very good.

But pizza without wheat flour and beer is just not something I want to do :) I have thin crust dough made, and it's been in the fridge since Wednesday afternoon, so I am really looking forward to see if there are flavor improvements with that long cold fermentation like there are with my New York and normal Chicago thin doughs.

Oh, and P.S. To keep my posts the opposite of keto, I have a new sourdough recipe loaf that spent the night in the fridge next to the pizza dough that I will be baking in a few more hours :)

Keto is basically a more strict version of low carb.
It's ironic that the subscribed to, heart patient's diet is almost the opposite of that (at least it was some years ago).
I don't see how a person who's tried a low-carb diet for a few weeks wouldn't notice a difference in energy level, just for starters.

Lots of other bennies too, like no more heartburn, joints don't hurt, food cravings greatly reduced, and plenty more.

I made a keto butter cake a couple days ago that's pretty dang tasty. Once you get the hang of it and come to grips with no more sugar/wheat - it's not bad at all! ;)

heartburn, joints don't hurt, food cravings
I've found the heartburn and food cravings go by the wayside which is excellent.
I haven't noticed any changes in joints. I'll look out for that. Worst case scenario is I'll fall victim to the placebo effect which is totally fine by me.
I'd add, for myself, more clear-headed.

I dunno. One of the simplest but most profound joys in life is eating well. I'm not ready to give that up. I don't doubt that these diets have their benefits. I guess one has to enter it all in their dbl-ledger accounting book and make a decision if they end up in the black or the red.

A long time ago I decided that I'd quit smoking (here), but regarding food I was going to just exercise and practice moderation instead of changing my diet. It's working so far. Maybe one day I'll change my mind tho, so don't hold me to it.

Chicken Kiev. BTW, apparently now we need to pronounce Kiev with one syllable, sounds like "keev". That's the Ukrainian pronunciation instead of Ruskie. I'm OK with that. Also, city name is now spelled Kyiv. Sigh, but of course I'm on board there, too.

To keep the butter/garlic inside the pounded chicken, I used meat glue (transglutaminase) to hold it together. In one of the pics you can see the white powder. Worked perfectly. When you cut into it and the garlic butter goodness oozes out, it's all worthwhile.

1647140258503.png

1647138344420.png

1647138354564.png

1647138364534.png

1647138373059.png

1647138385395.png

1647138394095.png

1647138401676.png

Last edited:
My lovely wife started keto about 2 weeks ago. Now that I understand it, I call it the cauliflower and bacon diet. I love bacon and meat in general but my brain just hates the taste of cauliflower. I love so many other veggies but cauliflower is almost at the bottom of the list just above beets. I miss potatoes :(

My lovely wife started keto about 2 weeks ago. Now that I understand it, I call it the cauliflower and bacon diet. I love bacon and meat in general but my brain just hates the taste of cauliflower. I love so many other veggies but cauliflower is almost at the bottom of the list just above beets. I miss potatoes :(
LOL, we don't eat cauliflower very often, truth be told. i DO like mashed cauli though - really good if you cook til very tender, drain VERY well, mash with butter and Brie cheese. Yum.

I rarely miss potatoes now but I've been doing this for years. We do like turnips, and daikon radish or delicata squash, cut into small cubes and panfried in butter and bacon fat, make dandy "hash browns" - I like both those BETTER than potatoes!

Making keto pizza tonight. We have ready-made pizza crusts made by a company called SoooKetolicious that we keep in the freezer - just gotta crisp them up a bit, top, and put back in til everything is hot and melty. Toppings tonight - Italian sausage, crumbled and browned, pepperoni, salami, prosciutto, black olives, red bell pepper, onion, Rao's pizza sauce, lots of difference cheeses.

Chicken Kiev. BTW, apparently now we need to pronounce Kiev with one syllable, sounds like "keev". That's the Ukrainian pronunciation instead of Ruskie. I'm OK with that. Also, city name is now spelled Kyiv. Sigh, but of course I'm on board there, too.

To keep the butter/garlic inside the pounded chicken, I used meat glue (transglutaminase) to hold it together. In one of the pics you can see the white powder. Worked perfectly. When you cut into it and the garlic butter goodness oozes out, it's all worthwhile.

View attachment 762589
View attachment 762579

View attachment 762580

View attachment 762581

View attachment 762582

View attachment 762583

View attachment 762584

View attachment 762585
That's just awesome Andrew!! Well done.

That just looks phenomenal!! I so much love Poblanos in everything. Is that Ditalini pasta? And is that parsley, cilantro, or something else that I am seeing? If I can get to the store today to get some poblanos I may just try and make this tonight or tomorrow!
Thanks! I love poblanos myself. Poblanos and red onions are a match made in heaven!!!

The herb your seeing is actually Dill. Love it in chicken noodle soup!

Back