What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Movie night w/ friends - We have friend come over about once every two weeks for movie nights. It's cheaper than going out : )

They requested that I make tritip bbq sammiches, so here's the tritip. I also made vinegar based slaw, bbq sauce for the tritip, grilled broccolini, squash, zucchini, and brussel sprouts (I made a glaze for them), and potato wedges, and a lemon poppyseed olive oil cake. The only thing I didn't make were the buns for the sammiches.
PXL_20220331_011731901.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20220331_011715063.jpg

We grilled a spatchcocked chicken yesterday using a recipe from Sam the Cooking Guy - grilled lemon chicken if you care to look it up. The only thing I did differently to the recipe was add about 1" of peeled ginger, processed with the lemon grass and garlic and some olive oil in my little food processor.

That thing came out so flavorful and juicy, and crispy-skinned, from the Weber gas grill! Will make it again but I think I'm over spatchcocking birds now - will just split them in half in the future. Much easier to handle on the grill.

Forgot pictures. Sorry!

We grilled a spatchcocked chicken yesterday using a recipe from Sam the Cooking Guy - grilled lemon chicken if you care to look it up. The only thing I did differently to the recipe was add about 1" of peeled ginger, processed with the lemon grass and garlic and some olive oil in my little food processor.

That thing came out so flavorful and juicy, and crispy-skinned, from the Weber gas grill! Will make it again but I think I'm over spatchcocking birds now - will just split them in half in the future. Much easier to handle on the grill.

Forgot pictures. Sorry!
I'm subscribed to StCG channel, he's a hoot. I remember that episode and thought it looked fantastic. I'm glad it turned out so good for you, I think I may do it in the future.

He is a nut. Sometimes he's a bit over the top but mostly we enjoy watching him and have gotten several really good recipes from his channel and website! And one ofr two we wouldn't repeat but that's gonna happen....

YUM!! That looks great. I want one of those griddles!

Last night I used the oil still in the Dutch oven in which I had fried hot wings the night before, and made a keto-style batter for some nice shrimp. They turned out great! No pictures though. Once food is ready to eat that's all I'm thinking about, usually!

Boy, awfully quiet in here lately!

I actually remembered to take a picture! We smoked two racks of baby backs (no picture) and a 14 pound chuck roast (no picture!) in the Traeger last Sunday. Chilled off the roast and sliced up 2/3 of it for sandwiches; cubed up the rest and last night I made burnt ends from it. It was pretty good but needs a bit of work. Edible and tasty though!

D1E31A5C-9599-4847-9D4B-957CD964C926.jpeg

Movie night w/ friends - We have friend come over about once every two weeks for movie nights. It's cheaper than going out : )

They requested that I make tritip bbq sammiches, so here's the tritip. I also made vinegar based slaw, bbq sauce for the tritip, grilled broccolini, squash, zucchini, and brussel sprouts (I made a glaze for them), and potato wedges, and a lemon poppyseed olive oil cake. The only thing I didn't make were the buns for the sammiches.
View attachment 764567
View attachment 764568
Love me some TRI tip. Unfortunately it's like chicken wings only two on the cow.

In keeping with my definitely not Keto theme, I did Rancho Gordo Midnight Black Beans with Conecuh sausage in the Instant Pot last night, served on basmati rice with cornbread muffins :) Not the best picture but boy were they tasty! Well, I can't get my phone to sync with my computer. Photo later.

50B51BBA-C800-4E34-8930-1B47E1CF197F.jpeg
Hubby has been in hospital for nearly a month following a fall and some nasty fractures… he’s going to be okay, and other than an easy peasy quick quesadilla and overnight oats I haven’t prepared much food at home until tonight. Refrigerator section ”fresh” mushroom and ricotta ravioli and a shrimp cocktail.
A8EA33FE-A33E-4138-BBCE-39E78E0ADB05.jpeg

Whoops I forgot about these little “runzas” made from sourdough with beef, cabbage and onion filling.

Last edited:
View attachment 766198Hubby has been in hospital for nearly a month following a fall and some nasty fracture… he’s going to be okay, and other than an easy peasy quick quesadilla and overnight oats I haven’t prepared much food at home until tonight. Refrigerator section ”fresh” mushroom and ricotta ravioli and a shrimp cocktail.
View attachment 766199
Whoops I forgot about these little “runzas” made from sourdough with beef, cabbage and onion filling.

Best wishes to your Hubby for a speedy recovery. The food looks great.

For this weekend's brewing, I knocked up some Jamaican pasties, a southern England take on the Jamaican patty. Angus ground beef, onion, garlic, Madras curry powder, bird's eye chilli (2), thyme, freshly ground black pepper, salt and fresh white breadcrumbs all wrapped in turmeric pastry.

DSC_0076.JPG

DSC_0078.JPG

Last edited:
For this weekend's brewing, I knocked up some Jamaican pasties, a southern England take on the Jamaican patty. Angus ground beef, onion, garlic, Madras curry powder, bird's eye chilli (2), thyme, freshly ground black pepper, salt and fresh white breadcrumbs all wrapped in turmeric pastry.

View attachment 766206
View attachment 766224
Nicely done! That just looks and sounds fantastic, and wonderful job with the crimp! Do you have a recipe you would care to share, cause I would love to have a go at those some evening soon.

View attachment 766198Hubby has been in hospital for nearly a month following a fall and some nasty fractures… he’s going to be okay, and other than an easy peasy quick quesadilla and overnight oats I haven’t prepared much food at home until tonight. Refrigerator section ”fresh” mushroom and ricotta ravioli and a shrimp cocktail.
View attachment 766199
Very sorry to hear about your husband but glad he is on the mend. The little "runzas" look amazing and they are made with sourdough which I am all abour recently.. I'm gonna have to look them up. Anybody ever see Veggie Tales 8 Polish Foods of Christmas song, where everything they mention is basically stuffed with meat? :)

Spent the last 2 days cooking for Passover seders. Had roast chicken with sides etc. yesterday. Smoked up a brisket for this evening’s festivities. Pretty happy with this one.
View attachment 766290
It went well with the homemade horseradish.
View attachment 766291
That brisket is a thing of beauty and the horseradish is a beautiful color! Nice job!

Last edited:
DBCBFCBD-46D4-4E40-BED5-497EA352CA67.jpeg

So today I brought kielbasa, pierogi with sautéed onions and green beans to have with hubby for lunch. Then when I got home I cooked this for my dinner. Hubby won’t eat lamb and is not a fan of asparagus so he won’t feel like he missed out on anything. Brunch for supper. The egg sits on a homemade sourdough English muffin.

Last edited:
We're staying with my daughter and her family waiting for our new grandson to show up so I cooked my lasagna for them-2 pounds ground beef, 1 pound spicy Italian sausage simmered in my homemade tomato sauce. The cheese layer is cottage cheese, ricotta, mozzarella and 2 pounds of chopped spinach. This batch weighed in around 7 pounds, half will be cut into individual portions and frozen.

Nicely done! That just looks and sounds fantastic, and wonderful job with the crimp! Do you have a recipe you would care to share, cause I would love to have a go at those some evening soon.

Filling:
Ground beef (400g)
Onion, finely chopped (1 medium)
Garlic, crushed (2 cloves)
Curry powder, medium, e.g. Madras (1 heaped tbsp)
Thyme (1 tsp, dry)
Bird's eye chilli (1 or 2)
Salt (pinch, probably enough in the curry powder)
Pepper, freshly ground (1/4 tsp)

Beef stock (300ml)
Tomato puree (1 tbsp)
White breadcrumbs, fresh (50g)

Pastry:

Plain flour (400g)
Ground turmeric (2 tsp)
Butter, cold, cubed (250g)
Salt (1/2 tsp)
Water, cold (125ml)

Beaten egg for glazing

Method:

I prefer to make the filling the night before and let the spices do their magic overnight in the fridge. Pastry can be made in advance, wrapped and stored in the fridge, too.

Onion, garlic, curry powder, thyme, chilli, salt and pepper mixed for a minute or two in a pan on low-medium heat. Add ground beef and mix with the onion, spices, etc., until brown (no more pink/red bits). Ensure the ground beef gets separated thoroughly. I'll spend about 10 minutes teasing the ground beef apart using 2 wooden spoons and mixing it well with the onion and spices.

DSC_0062.JPG

DSC_0063.JPG

DSC_0064.JPG

Turn up the heat a little. Add the beef stock and tomato puree, stir in and bring to a gentle simmer. Simmer (lid off) gently for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

DSC_0065.JPG

DSC_0066.JPG

Remove chilli(es), unless you want to have some roulette fun. Stir in the fresh white breadcrumbs and put a lid on the pan until cool.

DSC_0068.JPG

DSC_0069.JPG

I make the pastry while the filling cools down. Weigh flour into a bowl. Add turmeric and salt to the flour and mix well with a whisk. Add the flour mix to a food processor. Add the cold cubed butter and pulse the processor until it looks like 'breadcrumbs'. Add the cold water slowly while pulsing and continue pulsing until the pastry comes together. Wrap in cling film and store in the fridge.

I'll make six 8" pasties, so divide the pastry by six. Each pastry round gets about 2.5-3 heaped tbsp of the cool filling before the edge of the pastry gets sealed with a little beaten egg.

DSC_0071.JPG

DSC_0073.JPG

DSC_0074.JPG

Don't forget to 'hug' air pockets out of the pasty before crimping. Then another little 'hug' for final shaping.

DSC_0075.JPG

Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes while the oven heats up to 170°C (fan). They can be left covered overnight in the fridge. Just before baking, brush beaten egg over the cooled pasties. Bake for about 25 minutes.

Best served with a beer of your choice.

Enjoy!

I had a craving Friday morning while working from home, and made these with little frozen wild blueberries. Love working from home. Whip these up in 10 minutes then can work again till the oven timer goes off!
View attachment 766329
Wild blueberries taste amazing. I pick by the bucket load before freezing them when they're in season. Worth the effort for a supply throughout the year.

Filling:
Ground beef (400g)
Thyme (1 tsp, dry)

Beef stock (300ml)
Tomato puree (1 tbsp)

Pastry:

Plain flour (400g)
Ground turmeric (2 tsp)
Salt (1/2 tsp)
Water, cold (125ml)

Beaten egg for glazing

Method:

I prefer to make the filling the night before and let the spices do their magic overnight in the fridge. Pastry can be made in advance, wrapped and stored in the fridge, too.

Onion, garlic, curry powder, thyme, chilli, salt and pepper mixed for a minute or two in a pan on low-medium heat. Add ground beef and mix with the onion, spices, etc., until brown (no more pink/red bits). Ensure the ground beef gets separated thoroughly. I'll spend about 10 minutes teasing the ground beef apart using 2 wooden spoons and mixing it well with the onion and spices.

View attachment 766517
View attachment 766518
View attachment 766519

Turn up the heat a little. Add the beef stock and tomato puree, stir in and bring to a gentle simmer. Simmer (lid off) gently for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

View attachment 766520
View attachment 766521

Remove chilli(es), unless you want to have some roulette fun. Stir in the fresh white breadcrumbs and put a lid on the pan until cool.

View attachment 766522
View attachment 766523

I make the pastry while the filling cools down. Weigh flour into a bowl. Add turmeric and salt to the flour and mix well with a whisk. Add the flour mix to a food processor. Add the cold cubed butter and pulse the processor until it looks like 'breadcrumbs'. Add the cold water slowly while pulsing and continue pulsing until the pastry comes together. Wrap in cling film and store in the fridge.

I'll make six 8" pasties, so divide the pastry by six. Each pastry round gets about 2.5-3 heaped tbsp of the cool filling before the edge of the pastry gets sealed with a little beaten egg.

View attachment 766525
View attachment 766526
View attachment 766527

Don't forget to 'hug' air pockets out of the pasty before crimping. Then another little 'hug' for final shaping.

View attachment 766528

Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes while the oven heats up to 170°C (fan). They can be left covered overnight in the fridge. Just before baking, brush beaten egg over the cooled pasties. Bake for about 25 minutes.

Enjoy!

Wow, that's just awesome! Thank you very much :)

Did not feel like cooking anything complicated last night, and I had a Pillsbury pie crust left from the two pack I opened when I made the pecan pie, so I made a quiche. Fresh spinach, apple wood smoked bacon, a really nice Gruyere I found at Tom Thumb, some Tillamook Sharp Cheddar, scallions, and Louisiana Hot Sauce. Even counting wilting the spinach and pre-cooking the bacon, it all came together in less than 30 minutes and it was just super tasty! I had to put some spinach on top of one side so that I would know which side had the most spinach. Don't ask. lol Plated picture is a little pathetic but I did not want to mess with making a salad.
IMG_7941.JPG

IMG_7938D.JPG

Filling:
Ground beef (400g)
Thyme (1 tsp, dry)

Beef stock (300ml)
Tomato puree (1 tbsp)

Pastry:

Plain flour (400g)
Ground turmeric (2 tsp)
Salt (1/2 tsp)
Water, cold (125ml)

Beaten egg for glazing

Method:

View attachment 766517
View attachment 766518
View attachment 766519

View attachment 766520
View attachment 766521

View attachment 766522
View attachment 766523

View attachment 766525
View attachment 766526
View attachment 766527

View attachment 766528

Enjoy!
Thanks again. I transcribed it into Word. May make the filling and dough tonight for dinner tomorrow.

One question, I noticed you cut not slits in the top for steam to escape. Do they every blow up? Your filling looks moist enough to generate some steam.

Back