Water Filtering.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawgbranch

Reaction score
Hello all!
I am about to receive my first All Grain kit. To date I have been doing the bucket dance from inside the house to the brewing area. I want to use an outside source (Spigot) but I know there is a bacteria issue. I have seen in pics on here where water filters have been used outside to filter "Hose" water.
Does this work well? I live in a pretty rural area and we have a well. The water is really good, just concerned about the hose issue.

buy a RV type filter and a section of potable water hose(it's white and available in the rv section of walmart) for the run after the filter and you'll be fine

Hello all!
I am about to receive my first All Grain kit. To date I have been doing the bucket dance from inside the house to the brewing area. I want to use an outside source (Spigot) but I know there is a bacteria issue. I have seen in pics on here where water filters have been used outside to filter "Hose" water.
Does this work well? I live in a pretty rural area and we have a well. The water is really good, just concerned about the hose issue.

I'm not sure what the bacterial issue your talking about is. Your hose spigot is hooked to the same pipes as your kitchen sink.

The typical problems with a garden hose are the hose smell leaching into the water and the possibility of lead leaching into the water.

One of the big advantages of a carbon filter is to remove chlorine from the water, since you have a well thats not really an issue. If you buy a RV hose like eriktlupus said and use that then your water will be identical to what you were using inside.

Of course the filters could also block any large particulate matter and other things you might not want in your beer. With the small cost associated with them, I'd say its a win regardless of your water source

Yeah, I wasnt clear, I meant the hose. There is a definite odor from the hose at times. I may go with a 15ft or longer Food Grade hose at first. I did find a filter system for about $30.00 that you just attach to the end of you current hose that has a 12inch run. 3gal/minute output.
It may sound lazy but I am tired of lugging buckets of water......

I bought a inline hose filter and potable water hose in the RV section at Walmart. If I remember right the filter was $19.99 and the hose was about $10.

In my area after they changed from chlorine to a chlomine city water that has a stronger smell plus kills tropical fish unless a additive is added.
For the brewing the last 8 years I switched to well water, made an adapter from hose bib to a disposable nylon automotive fuel line filter with RV hose.
This collects any sand particles I may pump as i'm on an island plus it lets the minerals pass thru vs blocking everything that a carbon filter will. Call me cheap I get 150-200 gallons filtered then back flush and reuse. Best part they are cheap and available at any auto parts store.

Back