Hello from Nebraska

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malkore

Reaction score
been here a few days, figured I should say hello.

this is my 3rd entrance into the hobby. first was when i was just 17-18 (mead making in the SCA). second was when I was 21-24.

I'll be 30 in 2 months, so I'm back on the horse. my first beer in 7 years is being bottled tomorrow night.
just bought my first keg, and all i need is the regulator and a fridge and I'll be setup for kegging and force carbonation.

so...expect questions on kegging, and refining my process. the reason I quit last time was two-fold: too many bottles of mead aging, and several batches of beer that didn't turn out due to my own fault. wasn't contamination, it was a lack of patience and some screw ups with stuck fermentations and using 1kg instead of 1lb of corn sugar one a recipe.

now the only issue is that i wanna make another beer this weekend to keg and keeping the wife from killing me :)

Hey Malkore. Seems the same thing happened to me. Lost interest when I didn't understand what went wrong with several batches. 5 gallons of bad beer (several times) can take the fun out of it. I did have several that were perhaps accidentally awesome. No matter, I just bottled my first in 8 years or so yesterday (an IPA) and tonight brewed a Beach Blonde Ale. Hope my skills and luck have improved and plan to pay attention to details this time around. This time I'm planning on using a secondary which is new for me.

I'm in Lincoln. I was also in college at the time (7 years ago) so having $30 in beer go down the drain was a bigger impact than it is now.

Cool, nice to see another nebraskan on here.
I've heard of a brewclub called the Lincoln Lagers. Might be worth your time to check them out. Maybe your local hbs can help you out too.

loop

Yep, I've been to the LHBS, Kirk's Brew, many times. Also grabbed a newsletter for the Lincoln Lagers last week.
Sadly I missed that 'rally' in Omaha a week or so ago cuz I didn't hear about it in time. Some membership drive for like American Homebrewer Association or whatever its called, plus free homebrew and snacks from a local restaurant.

Good to see Nebraska represented on here. I've been working in Lincoln for the past two summers, and the single reason I decided to start to homebrew was because of Lazlo's seasonal IPA. I loved it, but we can't get anything like it in the UK, so I figured trying to make my own was the only way to go.

Back