Strange films

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoebisch01

Reaction score
I watched "Fantastic Planet" for the first time this weekend. What a mind bender. I have seen quite a few odd films, in fact I like the more obscure, artistic stuff over the Mc-Movies.

Have you seen any strange films lately?

I watched "Fantastic Planet" for the first time this weekend. What a mind bender. I have seen quite a few odd films, in fact I like the more obscure, artistic stuff over the Mc-Movies.

Have you seen any strange films lately?

Eraserhead, A Clockwork Orange, The Wall, Dune (meh, not that thought provoking but sorta strange nontheless), the Hitchiker (revised),.....

Okay, Anything directed by David Lynch?

Erm, do those count?

Dark Crystal - saw it with friends and I was the only one to like it. One of the best lines from it and I know I don't remember it perfectly was "looks like Gelkling, smells like Gelkling, tastes like Gelkling. Must be Gelkling!" I use this as "it is what it is" when chatting with one buddy who hated it.

Dark Crystal - saw it with friends and I was the only one to like it. One of the best lines from it and I know I don't remember it perfectly was "looks like Gelkling, smells like Gelkling, tastes like Gelkling. Must be Gelkling!" I use this as "it is what it is" when chatting with one buddy who hated it.

Hehe, saw that this weekend as well. There was some amazing set design going on in that film.

most recently i saw "City of Lost Children". not too strange but artsy.

i had seen it when it first came out (1993?) and thought it was awesome. 15 years later, still awesome.

Man Bites Dog- classic.

200px-Man_Bites_Dog_film.jpg

i had seen it when it first came out (1993?) and thought it was awesome. 15 years later, still awesome.

You should watch Delicatessen. (It sounds much more gruesome than it actually is...I mean the plot is gruesome but there really isn't gore or horror in it, other than psychological).

Woo, Pan's Labyrinth gave me a few nightmares... That damn eye-finger man... ick!

"The Fountain" with Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz was pretty weird. I have a quota for how many times a movie makes me say "WTF???" and this one beat it by far.

Woo, Pan's Labyrinth gave me a few nightmares... That damn eye-finger man... ick!

"The Fountain" with Hugh Jackman and Rachel Weisz was pretty weird. I have a quota for how many times a movie makes me say "WTF???" and this one beat it by far.

I caught The Fountain on late night HBO. That one's a WTF-fest.

Naked Lunch ... A heroin induced dream by William Burroughs. Very strange to say the least.

Oh yeah, that flick was great fun!

+1 for Peter Greenaway films.
I'll add another name... Alejandro Jodorowsky

Santa Sangre was flat out weird. But I loved it. The soundtrack and sound design was outright eerie. The elephant funeral scene is :eek:

El Topo turned the weirdness up to 11 in 1970. Still weird today.

+1 for Peter Greenaway films.
I'll add another name... Alejandro Jodorowsky

Santa Sangre was flat out weird. But I loved it. The soundtrack and sound design was outright eerie. The elephant funeral scene is :eek:

That reminded me of Dreams by Akira Kurosawa.

Some more that come to mind is pretty much anything by Hayao Miyazaki. Spirited Away comes to mind.

Oh and thinking on dreams....The Science of Sleep is excellent.

One of my favs is the Forbidden Zone. One of the "stars" was Hervé Villechaize. It is sort of a musical.

It is really an utterly stupid movie, with a few quite hilarious scenes. It is kinda like watching an accident. The music, on the other hand is phenominal. The movie was directed by Richard Elfman and the soundtrack was by Danny Elfmann - his first. Much of the music is old 30's-40's tunes with Danny providing some new tunes and the background incidental music. He also plays the role of Satan and sings a great version of Minnie the Moocher, during which time he "honks" the topless princess he is holding captive. In earlier scenes the princess clad only in granny panties (her "costume" for the whole movie) runs around the caves cracking a whip - just to give you an idea of how classy this film is.

forbiddenzone4.jpg

I first saw this movie in about 1985 on my old Beta machine. I quickly borrowed a friends VHS machine and made a copy, and then made a Beta copy for myself, and later made a VHS copy of that when I got a VHS machine. I was thrilled a couple years ago when it came out on DVD.
forbiddenzone2.jpg

Oh, they have a Rifftrax for that film. I was very curious, but haven't had a chance to check it out. I downloaded and tried Transformers rifftrax last night.

Apocalypse Now! is one of my favorite strange films. Not really a WTF through the whole thing, but the ending is pretty weird.

Also, the LSD scene in Dumbo... Wow.. what a trip, man.

I think it was in Dumbo where there is some really freaky animation in psychedelic colors and everything. I just remember thinking that kids must be totally freaked out by that. I think the animators were shrooming out or something.

Not sure of the name, but it was a movie staring David Byrne from the Talking Heads and he just spoke to the camera as he went about some small town commenting about it. I couldn't change the channel. Saw "Sexy Beast" staring Ben Kingsley about a year ago, that was a bit strange but very good.

True Stories is quirky, but it's mostly just an oddly framed Talking Heads music video. Nothing too out there or WTF inducing.

If you liked Polyester, make sure you see Pink Flamingos, another of John Waters' works, but less fit for TV. That should be followed up with Pecker (more John Waters) and Gummo (in the style of Waters). That would be a day you'd never forget.

To those mentioning The Fountain, that was directed by Darren Aronofsky who also did Pi and Requiem for a Dream. I'd say Requiem is the most mainstream, but it still takes some effort to watch. Intense. Pi definitely falls into the strange/WTF realm and is a quality, low budget, somewhat experimental film. All are excellent.

And my recommendation:
Visitor Q
You probably shouldn't watch this.

Back