BIAB to Traditional All-Grain Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traviswalken

Reaction score
I have done several BIAB batches over the last couple months. However, I have decided to try my hand at batch sparging. I have all the equipment and am ready to roll this weekend.

Unfortunately, I bought the grains for a BIAB batch a week ago (before deciding to switch to batch sparging) and double milled the grains.

Since I have a new toy (cooler with ball valve and manifold), I'd love to take it for a spin. However, since my grains are already double milled, I think I should probably do one more BIAB brew day.

Will I get a stuck sparge with double milled grains? I think the answer is yes, but thought I would ask the experts.

Thanks.

The answer is really: It depends. How fine is a single mill and how much finer is the double milled.

Many people ask for double milled from their LHBS to get what they consider a fine enough crush to do a normal batch. Often LHBS will err on the course side so that the crush will work with the majority of equipment.

If you have any rice hulls you could add them.

The only real way to know how fine your system can handle is to go finer until you do get a stuck sparge then go coarser.

Plus one on the rice hulls...you should be fine if you vorlauf for 5-10 minutes and then start to lauter very slowly. I used to double mill my grains a lot...You could also stuff a kettle screen inside your kettle to prevent any husks that got through your false bottom out of the boil.

Thanks guys. I will go get some rice hulls and take my cooler/mlt for a spin.

If the sparge gets stuck, I can always transfer everything to my BIAB bag and finish that way. That sounds like a big mess waiting to happen!

I did a search here and it looks like .75 lbs should be sufficient. I will also rinse them in hot water before adding them to the mlt.

Back