Pumpkin Porter Recipie Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarrant

Reaction score
Okay, getting the hankering for a pumpkin inspired beer for Halloween and November. I was inspired after drinking the Pumpkin Ale in the Sam Adams Seasonal and thought I'd take a stab at creating a pumpkin brew of my own.

I wanted a big beer with a little oomph in it for the cooler fall evenings. Something that's a little thick and chewy almost like a pumpkin bread. Has a strong malt backbone that the hops and spices play off of.

I used the backdrop of a robust Porter to formulate my recipe. I toyed with adding a bit of Black Patent and reducing the amount of chocolate malt, but i think it might detract a bit from the overall profile.

Preboil 7 Gallons
5.5 to fermentor

Starting Gravity 1.065
FG Target is 1.016
Brew house Eff 75%
IBU ~28
SRM ~33

9lb. 2 Row
1lb Crystal 60L
1lb Special B
1lb Biscuit
12oz Smoked Malt
8 oz Chocolate Malt

1 oz US Golding 4.9%AA @ 60
1 oz US Golding 4.9%AA @ 30
1 tsp Irish Moss @ 15
2 tsp Cinnamon @ 10
1 tsp Allspice @ 10
1 tsp Nutmeg
5 whole cloves

Using either Nottingham or S-05 fermented at 65

Secondary adding 1 oz of pure vanilla and aging for 4-6 weeks.

I think i'm going to Mash at 154 add 1 can of Libby's 100% Pumpkin to the Mash, and 1 Can to the Boil. I'll be doing BIAB on this brew.

Would really appreciate some feedback from those who've brewed porters and or pumpkin beers before, this will be the first non pale ale/IPA recipe I've brewed.

you might have too much spice. My pumpkin porter i use 1/2t of all the same spices as you, and it comes out perfect.

I don’t think you have too much spice; I have made pumpkin ale several times and ended up using approximately the same amount. And to be honest I always end up adding more then what I “plan” on using. I also like that you are using canned pumpkin I have roasted pumpkin and used can there is really no difference in taste, to me.

I can’t wait to hear how it turns out.

Back