Overcarbed Bottles After 2.5 Weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMGfan

Reaction score
Hey folks. Long story short I carbed a raspberry wheat into 500ml Grolsch bottles with around 5.8ozs (ballpark as my notebook isn't at hand at the moment) of dextrose per the calculator located here:

TastyBrew.com | Homebrewing Calculators | Botting Priming Calculator

Bottled Nov, 20th.
I opened the first bottle on this last sunday (the 24th) and the carb was perfect. Highly carbed, but not overly so.

Opened two today and they were over carbed. They were in the fridge maybe 18 hoursish prior to opening.

My main concern is them continuing to carb and become bombs. Is there a way to know if I have to open them to vent, or if they'll stay at this level?

It's fantastic beer that I'm already planning a second batch on, I just used too much sugar is all. (I used the number tasty brew spit out, but as I was making up the solution, my intuition was telling me it was too much...and it was)

I would have to guess your beer wasn't all the way to it's terminal gravity because of the raspberries. I'd let them sit another couple weeks. My notes on priming my beers are similar to your carbonation volume. My number was 5.62oz and it was perfect. It was a bitter I should add, which is why I'm guessing about your fruit.

I'd let it sit in the fridge awhile longer...maybe a week or two. I had a stout that seemed overcarbed at 3 weeks, but a couple weeks in the cold garage or fridge settled it down immensely. I'm sure in Yellowknife you don't have any problems finding a cold place to store your bottles :)

I would have to guess your beer wasn't all the way to it's terminal gravity because of the raspberries. I'd let them sit another couple weeks. My notes on priming my beers are similar to your carbonation volume. My number was 5.62oz and it was perfect. It was a bitter I should add, which is why I'm guessing about your fruit.

See I was concerned about that, so it spent 3 days on the raspberries, and then another 3 or 4 days in a tertiary to settle, then I bottled.

This is my first time with fruit, so I'm still refining the process, but nonetheless it's gone relitivly smoothly, I think I'll throw the whole batch in the fridge and let it sit there for a while...

Thanks guys

Latest posts

Back