Cane sugar in priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paranode

Reaction score
Does cane sugar added for priming really impart a cidery taste in such small amounts as used for priming? Or is this more a reference to using cane sugar in the boil?

Just wondering if this is kind of a passed-on lore or if anyone has actually tasted off flavors from using cane sugar to prime for bottling.

:mug:

Its a wive's-tale. The ammount used for priming is so small you'll be fine. Table sugar should not impart any flavors in a beer until you get above 15-20%, especially in high-gravity beers. The problem is when you don't have any malt, or only 1 "can" of malt and the rest of fermentalbes are made up with table-sugar. You'll be fine if you prime with it.

I use corn sugar that I buy from the LHBS. Sometimes I use DME, 1 1/4 cups. Either should be dissolved in about 2 cups boiling water, then cooled. Put into the bottling bucket, then rack the beer into it with the tube on the bottom so that the beer swirls to mix.

Latest posts

Back