Pumpkin Ale Ingredient Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secinarot

Reaction score
I am a newbie brewer - completed 3 brews so far. I recently visited my local homebrew shop and they set me up with the ingredients to make a pumpkin ale. However, the owner wasn't there at the time and the person who helped me admittedly didn't have any experience in making a pumpkin ale. I have some questions about the ingredients that he gave me, so I wanted to double check with the experts.

I have 6.6 lbs Muntons Extra Light syrup and 1 lb. Muntons 2 row pale grains for steeping. Do you think the extra light syrup in addition to the grains will work for this style of beer? I don't want a really dark ale but I want it to have a certain amount of color and body and I am concerned that the extra light is too light.

I would greatly appreciate some opinions on this.

Thanks,
Tony.

Steeping.... or mashing?

BTW, If you want more color, you can stick with extra light but add more specialty grains.

You are not going to get any benefit out of the two row as a steeping grain, because it needs to be mashed to be effective. It's also a base grain, so it's not going to do anything in regards to color or flavor. Not sure why your LHBS didn't give you some caramel malt, unless, as you said it was due to lack of experience.

Here is a well received and proven Pumpkin ale recipe. I'd keep your base extract and just add the other steeping grains and spices as listed.

I'm steeping the grains, but it sounds like the 2 row is not going to work well for steeping.

So it looks like I'll keep the XP extract, skip the 2 row and go back and buy the caramel/crystal, biscuit and flaked wheat as it lists in the recipe.

Thanks for the help

Back