want to start kegging, what do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfraier

Reaction score
I have a full size fridge in the barn and was thinking about getting a keg system for my brew. What is a good starting kit to get? What else would I need?

Got that covered. I was thinking more along the lines of equiptment.

The kits you mentioned usually have the rest covered. check out kegconnections.com (a vendor on this site) and see what their kits come with. picnic taps are ok for the short term, but you'll get sick of them soon enough and want to put some taps through the wall of that full size fridge.

And if the temperature control on your fridge is limited, you might want to invest in a temp controller to keep the beer at your ideal temp. Also, if you're in a cold climate, you might want to consider a way to warm the fridge up during cold winters. Which would also involve a temp controller.

There are a couple stickies at the top of the Bottling/Kegging forum that go into detail about EVERYTHING you need.

Briefly, you need: a CO2 tank, a regulator for the co2 tank(to regulate the co2 pressure, at least one corny keg, one set of quick disconnect fittings for each keg you want on tap at a given time. Some Air hose, some beer hose, some hose clamps, and a party 'cobra' tap(the black plastic tap you see at parties)

That's all that's needed for a simple kegerator. You'd have to open the fridge door to poor a beer. If you want to have a metal tap on the outside, you'll need a shank, and a tap faucet, and then have to drill a hole in your fridge door for the shank.

Back