Making a blueberry beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, really only way is extract. I did 19 days in secondary on 5 cans of Oregon blueberries and you can BARELY taste the blueberry...and my beer is pinkish.

I had to add extract at bottling anyway.

Yeah, really only way is extract. I did 19 days in secondary on 5 cans of Oregon blueberries and you can BARELY taste the blueberry...and my beer is pinkish.

I had to add extract at bottling anyway.

Wow,really? I've heard that frozen blueberries are better (juicier). But barely any flavor? Dang,I wanted to brew up a wildflower honey & blueberry hefe for my wife. So,how much extract,& when would be the best time to add it? Does the extract have sweeteners,or all natural?

I did a combo of both. Used 3 lb of canned blueberry purée, then using that as a liquid I blended up 5 lb of frozen blueberries to smoothie consistency, for a total of 8 lbs of blueberries. Then racked my beer over that in secondary. Let it sit for 12 days, moved to tertiary (filtered as best i could on the way) and added gelatin. Bottled yesterday. It is bright purple, but tasted like fresh blueberries. Shows great promise. When I tasted before the gelatin it was very wine like. Too much tannins from the skin still in suspension. Now it's awesome. I highly recommend a tertiary with gelatin to help it clear!

Wow,really? I've heard that frozen blueberries are better (juicier). But barely any flavor? Dang,I wanted to brew up a wildflower honey & blueberry hefe for my wife. So,how much extract,& when would be the best time to add it? Does the extract have sweeteners,or all natural?

For my Blueberry Wheat, 2oz of extract at bottling/kegging.

The extract is not sweet at all. I don't know how natural it is.

Back