ferment to rack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ob111

Reaction score
I read that you should rack after 2 weeks
I'm just trying to get this right
I make a batch of cider with a little added sugar and add yeast
do I only leave it to ferment 2 weeks then transfer to rack even if it hasn't finished fermenting and let it finish fermenting in the rack
if that is right I'm just wondering the reason for doing it this way (just so I know the history of it)

As far as I understand it's a matter of personal preference. I have done both with the simple Ed Worts Apfelweine racked and didn't rack. Turned out more or less the same, I think Racking does help with reducing the amount of lees left over that would eventually end up in your finished bottles tho.

I think 2 weeks is an approximation. Colder fermenting temps can take much longer, perhaps even 2 months. I'd rack it after it finishes fermenting, regardless of how many weeks. (Or cold crash it after it gets to your desired sweetness, then rack it. Then you could add potassium metabisulfite, then potassium sorbate; or just keg or bottle then keep it cold.)

Back