Help needed `with first lager attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arazcamaro

Reaction score
Guys, I need some help! I am attempting my first lager (Oktoberfest) and need some help with the fermentation process. My O.G. was 1.060 and I pitched SafLager W-34/70 Dry Yeast. I fermented at 50 degrees for 21 days and the gravity has now only reached 1.031. I just transferred to secondary and I'm letting it warm it to perform a diacetyl rest but expected the gravity to have fallen more. The target F.G. is 1.014. Should I be concerned? Is this normal?

oktoberfest can take a while. i had 1 that fermented 2 months. wait a few days, then take another reading. if it changes, great. if not, add some yeast energizer (not nutrient). lagers take a long time

Is there any issues with performing the diacetyl rest in secondary or is that just a general preference? I've only done ales up to this point so this is new to me.

Is there any issues with performing the diacetyl rest in secondary or is that just a general preference? I've only done ales up to this point so this is new to me.

It should be done in primary. However, since your SG is still so high, you still should have plenty of active yeast to finish the fermentation and then reduce the diacetyl.

Normally, the diacetyl rest is done at the end of primary when fermentation is still active but slowing down. You want to do it about 75% of the way to FG (usually about 1.020 or so). Then you can rack, and begin the lagering.

Remember next time to never rack your beer before you're at FG, whether an ale or lager, as taking the beer off of the yeast may stall the fermentation.

Back