Inconsistencies in a few bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iijakii

Reaction score
This has happened in my last few batches, and I am unsure why.

I'll come across a bottle every now and then (just a couple per batch) which has a really weak flavor, like it was diluted with a hefty amount of water. Still carbed up fine and forms nice head with lacing. I do a full boil and do not dilute, so I really am unsure what it could be. Was thinking maybe somehow bottle related, but the fact it's carbing fine makes me doubt that.

Are you by chance drinking a really hoppy IPA or a really malty stout prior to getting these bottles?

Usually if I know I'm going to drink a few and want to have a big beer, I start out with a pilsner or kolsch then work my way up to the bigger beers. After an Imperial IPA or an Imperial stout, your palate is going to be less able to detect more delicate flavors.

I really don't think a tainted palate has anything to do with it, but I'll make sure to note what I've previously drank/ate if it happens again.

Back