Light damage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
You know, I hadn't even thought about it till now. When I racked one of my brews to my new glass carboy a couple of weeks ago, I didn't cover it to black out the glass. It's been sitting in my basement, where I have a window well that lets in some light. It's not very close to the window, about 10' away, but directly across.

What kind of flavor damage can I expect?

Unless the light hits the carboy directly, not much. Also depends on when the window was last cleaned. When I was a kid in Crete, IL, it was always a cloudy day in the basement.

david_42 said:
Unless the light hits the carboy directly, not much. Also depends on when the window was last cleaned. When I was a kid in Crete, IL, it was always a cloudy day in the basement.

This is a subterranean window well with an opaque cover on top. There's never any chance that sunlight hits it directly. Sunlight diffuses through the window well cover, then bounces off the gravel at the bottom of the well, then through a dirty window and brightens up the basement a little. You still need to turn on a light on even the brightest day if you don't want to stub your toe or step on something pointy. <homer>Mmmm...pointy...</homer>

So, am I pretty safe?

Seems that most of what I've read has said to avoid direct sunlight, but you probably want to cover that thing up from now on. The room I store my fermenting beers in has fluorescent lights, which is supposedly just as bad. I cover 'em up with dark towels or keep the door shut and the light off.

Mostly, I just posted to tell you that your avatar rocks, yet again. :rockin: hubba hubba

Latest posts

Back