The Walking dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm paraphrasing him a bit; not a true quote...

You must either really hate this show or have absolutely no suspension of disbelief --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief

The suspension of disbelief is something that the producers of the show should try to achieve in any story. We all make allowances to accommodate the shows we watch, but there are limits to just how much we can ignore the obvious without it being a distraction. We take into account the type of show it is, and this one gets more leeway from me because I know it's based on a comic book. Personally I don't have any problems with this show in that regard, but I do see problems elsewhere. In my case, it's some of the writing.

We all have our little preferences and things that annoy us in any show. Discussing them here is hardly whining.

We all have our little preferences and things that annoy us in any show. Discussing them here is hardly whining.

After 121 pages of banter on the topic, I think we all know that some of the "discussion" here has been max over-analyzation and borderline ridiculous... especially by those who whine about... 1) they should have approached that situation better 2) they should have explained this more 3) i hate that they did this 4) i just can't sit down and watch this show anymore 5) poorly written character 6) that character should've died a long time ago IMO 7) more incessant whining...

You know what? Stop watching the show then.

Fact is this is a top rated series on it's 3rd season, and confirmed for a 4th, so they must be doing more right than wrong.

Really?

It is a tv show. People have opinions about it. They will like some things and they will dislike others.

It seems to me that this thread is a place to discuss those opinions.

You know what? If that is not why you open this thread, stop opening it then.

There is a concept in games (video and otherwise) called the 'magic circle' which delineates the boundaries of the rules. Within the magic circle, disbelief is suspended and the game exists because the players agree on the rules. "The Floor is Lava" game works because everyone playing agrees that the floor is lava and jumps across the room on couches. Everyone hates the kid who walks on the floor with magic shoes or whatever because he has stepped outside the boundaries of that circle. Likewise, if everyone was playing tag and some kid came in and said "Well Jimmy can't walk and the ground because it's lava to him, and Sally has to hop on one foot because she is a flamingo, and I have super powers and can tag from a distance" it wouldn't work because there is no consistency.

The same concept applies to works of fiction. We all suspend our disbelief for the zombies as long as there are consistent rules that are followed. A lot of people hated the zombie that bit Hershel because he didn't behave like every other zombie that has reanimated as a reaction to people walking by. Similarly, there is no reason that the characters should have gained super head shot mode as it isn't consistent with the world that is set up (namely, the real world + zombies). If this was a TV show based on the Marvel Zombie Universe, no one would complain if Carl became a marksman because you could say "oh that's his superpower" and it would fit within the magic circle.

Suspension of disbelief is not an excuse for crappy writing. The reason people get bothered is because this isn't some campy B quality show on SyFy, it's a high quality, high production value show on a network with other top shows.

There is a concept in games (video and otherwise) called the 'magic circle' which delineates the boundaries of the rules. Within the magic circle, disbelief is suspended and the game exists because the players agree on the rules. "The Floor is Lava" game works because everyone playing agrees that the floor is lava and jumps across the room on couches. Everyone hates the kid who walks on the floor with magic shoes or whatever because he has stepped outside the boundaries of that circle. Likewise, if everyone was playing tag and some kid came in and said "Well Jimmy can't walk and the ground because it's lava to him, and Sally has to hop on one foot because she is a flamingo, and I have super powers and can tag from a distance" it wouldn't work because there is no consistency.

The same concept applies to works of fiction. We all suspend our disbelief for the zombies as long as there are consistent rules that are followed. A lot of people hated the zombie that bit Hershel because he didn't behave like every other zombie that has reanimated as a reaction to people walking by. Similarly, there is no reason that the characters should have gained super head shot mode as it isn't consistent with the world that is set up (namely, the real world + zombies). If this was a TV show based on the Marvel Zombie Universe, no one would complain if Carl became a marksman because you could say "oh that's his superpower" and it would fit within the magic circle.

Suspension of disbelief is not an excuse for crappy writing. The reason people get bothered is because this isn't some campy B quality show on SyFy, it's a high quality, high production value show on a network with other top shows.

And really, none of those things bother me, mostly because it is a zombie show.

I watch it with my 15 year old son. We laughed at their ability to hit headshots from moving vehicles, but it certainly didn't ruin our enjoyment of the show. In some cases it is necessary to go beyond what would be practical, even a make believe zombie world, to further the plot. Herschel's zombie bite for example. Yes, it was clumsy and the zombie's actions were was out of character, but in the big scheme of things, the bite itself was more important to the plot than the way it happened.

It would be funny to see how often you guys would whine about all of the theatrics of Zombieland with Woody Harrelson if it were a regular TV series.

hehe. After all the time I've spent on atheist threads in the debate forum, I never thought anyone could get so worked up about the suspension of disbelief in a thread about a TV show! :p

No. I'm simply "complaining" now about all of the whining I am seeing.

A couple of you are going a little overboard with all the negativity, bashing, incessant bit$hing, and inability to understand that it's just a TV show... and a good one at that. It even has a tribute show which is on after every episode. And none of the callers or guests are whining about what bothers them. Stop making it about you.

hehe. After all the time I've spent on atheist threads in the debate forum, I never thought anyone could get so worked up about the suspension of disbelief in a thread about a TV show! :p

That comment applies to the whiners right? Because I couldn't have said it better myself. You guys get very worked up about the most minor details of the show that annoy you. So much so that I'm wondering if you even enjoy it anymore.

Yep. And when you read Moby Dick, don't worry about any of the symbolism and or implied meanings throughout. I mean, it's just a book afterall.

I've only seen one whiner in this thread so far.

Really? Take a look back at 80% of the posts you've made in this thread alone. Some of them are even repeats of the same complaints. I don't have time to repost them all. But the quoting would span several pages. It's almost as if you want us to play a tiny violin for all of your woes.

Did you just compare Moby Dick to a zombie bashing, post-apocalyptic TV show?

Yep. Not in a comparison of their value as literary art, but to point out your simplistic view of the work/show as a whole.

There is more to any work of fiction than just watching or reading it because it is a good story.

I thought that of Moby Dick when I read if for my 10th grade humanities class 40 years ago. As a 15 year old idiot, I couldn't understand why we were wrecking such a good story by over analyzing it.

I imagine that you can't see the connection, though

--Possible spoilers--
Since we're discussing the accuracy of the shooting doesn't it just seem that the group has much better accuracy towards zombies than the guards at Woodbury? I think the massive headshots is simply amp'ing up the thrill of the zombie kill, after all there are alot of zombies out there so they can afford to make killing them much more theatrical.

Also, why the hell didn't the group do a perimeter check of the prison to find that huge gaping hole in the side? Too many zombies outside to risk it, or just too busy sweeping the inside?

As much as I hoped the Gov would bite it (well, or get bitten) I knew he has a larger role, I do love the sword out of the mouth thing. Nothing says good ole zombie fun like killing children (reminds me of the very opening scene of the first season), I also think it adds a certain weight to the situation they're in.

As a 15 year old idiot, I couldn't understand why we wrecking such a good story by over analyzing it.

I imagine that you can't see the connection, though

What a witty little diss... Indirectly labeling me as an idiot. Cute. This coming from the guy with a 3 stooges avatar. Seems as if you still may be an idiot. Anyway, it was still a poor comparison.

Wow so let me say this, in case my posts only focus on the negative. I love this show, it's one of my favorites on TV. My wife even enjoys it and she hates zombie stuff... I couldn't believe when she started watching it.

That being said, I can very rarely just watch/read/play something for pure enjoyment and ignore plot holes, inconsistencies, etc without getting frustrated (don't even get me started on the latest Batman movie) unless I go into it knowing it is meant to be pure entertainment like The Expendables or Die Hard. I don't consider it whining, I'm just expressing an opinion about a show that I very much enjoy and am a fan of. If anything the fact that it's these minor points we're "whining" about shows how high quality of a show it is.

I think that's all part of the pleasure of viewing, choosing whether to be a more passive or active viewer. Some will choose to focus on how cool all the headshots are, others may point out the probability. Either way, no harm no foul, just commentary.

I tried to get my wife to watch it, but it just happened to be the scene in the first season with the legless zombie crawling after Rick in the park. That pretty much sealed the deal for her not watching it.

So...I thought it was interesting that Michonne seemed to be pleading for Rick to allow her to come with them at the end when she said, "you need me".

According to the writer, when he was on The Talking Dead following the show, they cut out a part of that exchange when Rick looked at her and paused. They originally had her quietly say "please". The writer thought it wasn't subtle enough so they cut it.

I guess they are trying to portray her as less of a loner.

Bloody hell, I know people need to be careful of spoilers on this thread, but WTF man!? Luckily for me I have now gotten all caught up before I came back here. :cross:

I figured that everyone avoided this thread until they see the new show since this thread talks about the show.
I know that being on the West coast, I can't read this until I see it because the East cost sees it three hours sooner.

So...I thought it was interesting that Michonne seemed to be pleading for Rick to allow her to come with them at the end when she said, "you need me".

According to the writer, when he was on The Talking Dead following the show, they cut out a part of that exchange when Rick looked at her and paused. They originally had her quietly say "please". The writer thought it wasn't subtle enough so they cut it.

I guess they are trying to portray her as less of a loner.
I thought that part was kind of funny since they know that lots of the people who watch the show also watch the talking dead.
They cut it, then he says it so it might as well have been on the show.

I thought that part was kind of funny since they know that lots of the people who watch the show also watch the talking dead.
They cut it, then he says it so it might as well have been on the show.

Yeah. I thought the same thing.

I enjoy The Talking Dead, though. They have some fun with what is essentially a fun show and I like getting some perspective from the cast and writers as well as seeing some of the behind the scenes stuff. When it comes back in February it is going to be an hour long.

When it comes back in February it is going to be an hour long.

i've been saying it should be an hour-long show this since they started Talking Dead. get rid of Comic Book Boymen

and I SOOO wanted a copy of that print they had behind Chris Harwick last season of Sophia coming out of the barn. that was awesome

and best thing is that the BigHair (SWMBO) loved it too and would not object to hanging it in our house

by gosh, I love that woman... she's a keeper

Back