The Walking dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MalFet said:
I don't know why everyone keeps whining about the shooting accuracy. I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home. They're not much bigger than an zombie head.

I had no idea zombie heads were nearly 6 feet across. That being the case I totally withdraw my skepticism of the shooting accuracy of the show.

I just thought of something that mad ethe accuracy agu,emt a moot point.

If we all watched the episode with Jenner in the CDC, he explains how the zombie brain works.
He said something to the effect of it reanimates the brain stem, which is the part of the body that controls movment breathing and unconcious functions. Now we hsve seen several instances with melle weapons where they would have damaged the major parts of the brain, but not the stemm itself [located right above the spinal cord, think directly behind your pallete] In order to damage it for example by cleaving the head in half, you would have to cut down past the the pallet nearly to the esophogus

my spellin sucks i know

I just thought of something that mad ethe accuracy agu,emt a moot point.

If we all watched the episode with Jenner in the CDC, he explains how the zombie brain works.
He said something to the effect of it reanimates the brain stem, which is the part of the body that controls movment breathing and unconcious functions. Now we hsve seen several instances with melle weapons where they would have damaged the major parts of the brain, but not the stemm itself [located right above the spinal cord, think directly behind your pallete] In order to damage it for example by cleaving the head in half, you would have to cut down past the the pallet nearly to the esophogus

my spellin sucks i know

Yeoh, bit they stilt got to hut them in yjo heod. (ish) ;)

And even if they didnt have to hit them in the head, they're still doing it.

By the way, notice I've never mentioned the seemingly bottomless magazine that pretty much every gun in every movie or tv show has. So even when talking about firearms, I can suspend some of my belief, just not all and certainly not completely unexplainable things.

Weirdly enough, I've never read zombie fiction that addressed the brain stem/main lobe issue.

Wow that post was a full on dumpster fire of spelling and grammer. My bad guys and gals. Was at war with my kids who were trying to steal the dancing banna emoticon from the screen.

Yes the bottomless magazine annoys me as well as the bullet trajectory being a lazer, and the balls of fir being puffed from the muzzle with seemingly no rocoil/ and or exagerated recoil. You would think atleast one armorer in the move bussiness would be a gun guy and make it atleast semi realistic

--Possible spoilers--
Since we're discussing the accuracy of the shooting doesn't it just seem that the group has much better accuracy towards zombies than the guards at Woodbury? I think the massive headshots is simply amp'ing up the thrill of the zombie kill, after all there are alot of zombies out there so they can afford to make killing them much more theatrical.

I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with the limits of what they can show on cable TV. Perhaps there is some magic line that says gratuitous zombie head shots are fair game, but head shotting real people is a no-no.

Or it might just be the fact that if the prison gang one-shot killed all the Woodbury people we couldn't have an extended smoky, dimly lit fire fight....

I hope that wasn't whiny.

I wonder if it doesn't have something to do with the limits of what they can show on cable TV. Perhaps there is some magic line that says gratuitous zombie head shots are fair game, but head shotting real people is a no-no.

Or it might just be the fact that if the prison gang one-shot killed all the Woodbury people we couldn't have an extended smoky, dimly lit fire fight....

I hope that wasn't whiny.

no "magic line" - didn't Rick kill Shane/Not-Shane with a headshot?

Carl headshotted zombie Shane if I remember correctly.

Rick stabbed live Shane in the gut.

I think he's referring to near the end of the last episode while Rick and the gang are trying to get out over the bus. Some guy comes running towards Rick and his mind is playing tricks on him and he sees the guy as Shane. Other than that guy and the guy Glenn shanked, I don't remember any of the Woodbury crew dying at all (or at least they didn't show it), so I have to assume the magic accuracy only holds true for zombies, but the endless ammo (never seen a revolver hold like 10 shots) is for all weapons.
I'm sure part of it just happens as editing, you shoot good takes and then piece them all together. The other night I was watching "The Deer Hunter" and DeNiro is drinking a beer at a wedding reception and it actually gets more full as he drinks it. The only think better than a bottomless magazine, is a bottomless pint glass:mug:

no "magic line" - didn't Rick kill Shane/Not-Shane with a headshot?

I watched it again and I guess he did?

Initially I thought it was a chest shot because his face is intact with a smear of blood on it, but looking at again the only blood I see is on his face so I guess it was a head shot. I'll spare everyone the rant about the amount of damage Rick's hand cannon would do to a face...

None of this bothers me. I think in the big scheme of things it doesn't detract from the show. It's no different from the cowboy pulling out his six shooter and knocking a guy off of a moving horse at 75 yards in a western. You know that it is damn unlikey, but you also know that it's a TV show.

It doesn't bother me that they can plunge a knife into a skull as if it was made of plastic either ;)

I watched it again and I guess he did?

Initially I thought it was a chest shot because his face is intact with a smear of blood on it, but looking at again the only blood I see is on his face so I guess it was a head shot. I'll spare everyone the rant about the amount of damage Rick's hand cannon would do to a face...

Maybe he re-barreled/chambered it for .22 LR rounds? You know, more readily available during the zombie apocolypse. Seriously though, where is he finding all the ammo for his pistol (.357?), I get that the other weapons they come across have had some ammo or if they found the armory in the prison, but .357 isn't exactly standard issue stuff. Curious if he carries the hog leg as much in the comic?

None of this bothers me. I think in the big scheme of things it doesn't detract from the show. It's no different from the cowboy pulling out his six shooter and knocking a guy off of a moving horse at 75 yards in a western. You know that it is damn unlikey, but you also know that it's a TV show.

It doesn't bother me that they can plunge a knife into a skull as if it was made of plastic either ;)

To be honest I get a bit of a chuckle out of most of it.

This insta-headshots for zombies is there for the gore factor so I let that slide.

The hallucinatory Shane headshot does bother me though. It's not so much that they didn't accurately depict the carnage that it would have caused because, let's be honest, they won't show that on TV. It's more of the fact that with all the fantastic makeup artists they have on staff the best they could do for that one was what appeared to be a bit of red jam dabbed on that guy's cheek...

Maybe he re-barreled/chambered it for .22 LR rounds? You know, more readily available during the zombie apocolypse. Seriously though, where is he finding all the ammo for his pistol (.357?), I get that the other weapons they come across have had some ammo or if they found the armory in the prison, but .357 isn't exactly standard issue stuff. Curious if he carries the hog leg as much in the comic?

They get ammo at the same place they get fuel for their fleet of cars....

To be honest, how fragile the zombie skulls are is more of a stretch to me than the shooting. I just ignore it and enjoy the show.

I thought about the ammo. With all the ammo out there in all the towns, there should be no problem picking up a stack of ammo in every town they pass through that hasn't been raided by other survivors yet.
Stop by a gun store, hardware store, police station or a prepper's place and you have more ammo and guns.
I would be more inclined to pick up a short barreled shotgun though. That should do a number on a zombie head.

I might think about finding a warehouse and getting a real stockpile though!

Correct me if I'm wrong... a bullet that size (9mm if Im not mistaken, I dont think it was the .44 hand cannon) would make a yittle bitty hole in the face, and blow the back of the head off in the goriest way imaginable, right? The face would be intact...

A lot of those handgun head shots are at very close range and are very reasonable to execute in real life. The shots while running or in a car at a 50 yards target are the stupid ones, but hey it's a zombie show FFS. Lots of people in here trying to make the show something it isn't. Quit dissecting the meaningless aspect that the producers obviously didn't even care about...

Yes, small entry wound and large exit wound. As to the knives stuck in heads, I would chalk that up to decomposition. Kind of like Glenn ripped that walker's arm off to give the bone/knife to Maggie (ah, love).

Correct me if I'm wrong... a bullet that size (9mm if Im not mistaken, I dont think it was the .44 hand cannon) would make a yittle bitty hole in the face, and blow the back of the head off in the goriest way imaginable, right? The face would be intact...

It was indeed Rick's hand cannon.

I'm not trying to be pedantic here I just wish they would have done the make-up a bit better.

Yes, small entry wound and large exit wound. As to the knives stuck in heads, I would chalk that up to decomposition. Kind of like Glenn ripped that walker's arm off to give the bone/knife to Maggie (ah, love).

Skulls don't decompose like flesh. Bone stays hard for quite a while.
I've got deer skulls that are as hard as they were years ago. Unless you hit it right where the bones in the skull go together, you would be hard pressed to stick a knife or screwdriver into the forehead or top of the skull.

That being said, I just ignore that part as part of what it takes to make things work. We're talking waves of zombies after all, it's not like you don't have to accept things that can't be in order to watch the show.

I'll bet Stephen King would have gotten more of the details accurate though!

To be honest, how fragile the zombie skulls are is more of a stretch to me than the shooting. I just ignore it and enjoy the show.

Remember walkers are literally decomposing bodies with just an animated brain. Any skull would be brittle after months of exposure to the elements.

But do you have any zombie deer skulls? It's totally different :)

FWIW, I absolutely love the show and can easily suspend belief for 45 minutes for the sake of entertainment. I don't care where the bullets and gas come from, I just want some entertainment. I can go buy gas and shop at Walmart in real life.

I agree, people just need to let it go. It's a great show, just enjoy it. RDWETWD!

(Relax don't worry enjoy the walking dead)

I don't know why people think that those of us who question what we see are not enjoying the show. We ALL enjoy the show, that's why we are in the thread!

How dull would the thread be if it was more along the lines of Yeah, that was awesome! Totally took that guys head off, and I was like, Oh no he didn't, and then it went all Bam! Bam! Bam! Another 3 walkers splatted all over the place.......Well, you know the sort of thing I mean. ;)

We are just discussing the show as adults, we are not a girly Twighlight fan club, we are a girly Zombie fan club, but with brains!......Until the zombies come, of course.

I think it's pretty obvious that everyone here *does* enjoy the show, no? The technical stuff is just something silly to talk about. It's not like we'd be curing cancer here if we weren't talking about zombie skulls.

Back