The Walking dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rick is a mess, I can't stand how they write his character. By far, he's the most inconsistent in the show. As I keep harping on way back, there's no way Rick would have stayed the leader in real life. It is just not believable that a few key characters would follow him.

Rick is a mess, I can't stand how they write his character. By far, he's the most inconsistent in the show. As I keep harping on way back, there's no way Rick would have stayed the leader in real life. It is just not believable that a few key characters would follow him.

And who in Rick's group do you think is better suited to be leader?

At the start of season three, it appeared that he had settled in pretty solidly as a leader. The group trusted him and was following his lead. Of course he lost it after Lori's death. I guess we'll see how well he gets it back under control...

I'm going to blow your mind here... What if the whole Zombie Apocalypse in "The Walking Dead" is a dream Rick is having while he is in his coma?

If they went all dallas on this show, I would crap in a box of packing peanuts and send it to the exec director. Stuff like that is just a cop out for having actual storytelling skill.

As far as Rick being inconsistent, I think its just there attemot at cramming 10lbs of character in a 5 lb bag. Like it was said earlier they are trying to add depth, just poorly executing it. I kind of get what they are jabbing at, The group has been through alot of trauma. They spent winter [the lean season], running from place to place trying to live hand to mouth, Rick led them through that. That alone is enough to rattle someones core, running in desperation, hoping for another meager meal. That kind of hunger is maddening, it drives you to a cliff and holds you off of it. Now add to that, his wife cheated on him, and is carrying a child that may not be his.. but his best friends, whom he had to kill. Finally they get to a semi safe place, and he loses his wife, even if they didnt get along he still loved her. Now if all that dosnt rattle your core he now has to raise two children in a world where everyday you could be on the menu. If that dosnt push a man to insanity, I dont want him as my leader, you would have to be a sociopath for it all not to rip you apart. Thats kinda what they are trying to add to his character, this ptsd addled father of two trying to make it in a world gone to hell.

I understand that its hard to write that all into a short tv show, but it could have been executed better.

huntingohio said:
If they went all dallas on this show, I would crap in a box of packing peanuts and send it to the exec director. Stuff like that is just a cop out for having actual storytelling skill.

As far as Rick being inconsistent, I think its just there attemot at cramming 10lbs of character in a 5 lb bag. Like it was said earlier they are trying to add depth, just poorly executing it. I kind of get what they are jabbing at, The group has been through alot of trauma. They spent winter [the lean season], running from place to place trying to live hand to mouth, Rick led them through that. That alone is enough to rattle someones core, running in desperation, hoping for another meager meal. That kind of hunger is maddening, it drives you to a cliff and holds you off of it. Now add to that, his wife cheated on him, and is carrying a child that may not be his.. but his best friends, whom he had to kill. Finally they get to a semi safe place, and he loses his wife, even if they didnt get along he still loved her. Now if all that dosnt rattle your core he now has to raise two children in a world where everyday you could be on the menu. If that dosnt push a man to insanity, I dont want him as my leader, you would have to be a sociopath for it all not to rip you apart. Thats kinda what they are trying to add to his character, this ptsd addled father of two trying to make it in a world gone to hell.

I understand that its hard to write that all into a short tv show, but it could have been executed better.

Slow-Clap.gif

As far as Rick being inconsistent, I think its just there attemot at cramming 10lbs of character in a 5 lb bag. Like it was said earlier they are trying to add depth, just poorly executing it.

You make a great point. Maybe they're just trying to do too much with him. Someone said they thought the actor was bad; I can't disagree with this enough. I think he's a great actor dealing with a horribly written character.

Shane would have certainly left the group. If it wasn't for the story needing that shocking moment of them settling their score, in real life, Shane would have taken his little crew and went out on his own. Or worse, there would have been some sort of battle over their scant resources.

I don't mind the zombies obviously, but I'm more into the end of the world aspects of the show and the genre as a whole. It's always been one of my interests. Zombies are just one of the many calamities we've come up with to express the idea of armageddon in pop culture. That's why I harp on the lack of leadership skills Rick expresses, especially early on in the show. The only reason I can see that people follow him is his former career, which all of them should realize means absolutely nothing at this point.

The only reason I can see that people follow him is his former career, which all of them should realize means absolutely nothing at this point.

I think that's absolutely the reason why they followed Rick. But who would have been a better leader though? I think Dale and Glen stayed the most level-headed, but they're probably too old/young to command the respect necessary to lead. Daryl would be good, but he was too much of a loner until he started caring about Carol.

I desperately need to get caught up so I just scrolled down to say that I love this show. I'll chime back in after the last three episodes are watched!

I think that's absolutely the reason why they followed Rick. But who would have been a better leader though? I think Dale and Glen stayed the most level-headed, but they're probably too old/young to command the respect necessary to lead. Daryl would be good, but he was too much of a loner until he started caring about Carol.

Not to mention that I'm not sure they could have made some of the tough decisions.

One of the things I love about this show is how much they play with the idea that you can't trust anyone until you have to, and then you rely on them for your life. It's great job every group that has been encountered (including main one) started as accepting and then hits a point where they distrust or attack outsiders.

i think its amazing how few great characters there are in this show-- yet we all seem to like & watch... They are doing such a great job bringing to life the "zombie apocalypse" that we don't notice....
Many other shows have countless characters we identify with and get emotionally involved with-- even some bad guys...

This show doesn't seem to need it. I applaud their ability to keep the story moving. kill off characters if need be... its the drama of end of world senario that we are watching for not each individual character...

fogley said:
i think its amazing how few great characters there are in this show-- yet we all seem to like & watch... They are doing such a great job bringing to life the "zombie apocalypse" that we don't notice....
Many other shows have countless characters we identify with and get emotionally involved with-- even some bad guys...

This show doesn't seem to need it. I applaud their ability to keep the story moving. kill off characters if need be... its the drama of end of world senario that we are watching for not each individual character...

One thing I dislike about movies is that most of the time you know the main character won't die. You don't get that with this show. They will kill of anyone randomly. No climax or something leading up to it. Just oops zombie your dead.

Love it.

I think that, given the situation, we the viewers are not as likely to invest in the characters emotionally. We'll like characters and get slightly upset if they're killed off, but we're less prone to get invested in them.

That being said, I'll be pissed if they kill Daryl. Was it someone on here who referred to him as a Redneck Jedi?

Unlike a lot of shows where it's about the people and the storyline is just a way to work the characters in front of the camera, this show does the opposite.
The story is the number one thing. They have lots of things going on with lots of characters, they show how things are going with people who are on the move, people living more as bandits who will kill and steal for survival, the people at the farm before it was over run, the people in a "secure" town and now the group living in the prison as their fortress.
Lots of things that represent what's going on with the survivors around the world rather than getting wrapped up with the stories of individuals.
To really develop a character fully on a show, You have to devote a lot of time to the person, what they're thinking, what's important to them, their relationships with other people and all that junk.
If they did that with this show It would take away from the constant action and the bigger picture of a story of survival after the zombie apocalypse.

I think it's simpler than all that. They are just using the base of a comic book story rather than the more usual TV cookie cutter writing machine, so it's different. :)

I agree that it's refreshing to see what appear to be important characters get killed for a change. I grew up with British TV where that tends to happen a lot. That might also explain why some of their series are so short! :D

Just got caught up on last weeks episode, and damn ts getting real. Spoiler alert!!!!! The way Glen went all savage on that walker, and when they threw that old man out of his cabin as a decoy. Man I am pumped about tomorrows episode.

aygov said:
The US needs to heed this. Sometimes a series is done after 2 seasons... no need to drag it out for 6 just to keep cashing in.

+1.

I like how a lot of anime series only run 12 episodes.

+1.

I like how a lot of anime series only run 12 episodes.

Maybe the best one ever made, Neon Genesis Evangelion, is only 22 episodes long I think. And that project was so hard on their team that they blew off some steam making the 6-episode satire series Fooli Cooli (FLCL) which is amazing because it's an anime that makes fun of anime.

I like how they do that for some series, but The Walking Dead is one I would be 100% okay with them continuing for an extended period as long as it stays good. And there are plenty of other series that have yet to overstay their welcomes even after 6 seasons.

The problem with Walking Dead as time goes on his that the zombies should have rotted to **** by now (or at least real soon). They need to start addressing the larger issue of how this happened and start heading towards a finish IMO.

The problem with Walking Dead as time goes on his that the zombies should have rotted to **** by now (or at least real soon). They need to start addressing the larger issue of how this happened and start heading towards a finish IMO.

I agree totally, but the series is doomed to carry on as a zombie itself until enough people stop watching when it really runs out of juice. Then it will be canceled with no conclusion. That's if it follows the normal model, anyway.

LOVE this show, finally joined the forum after improving my craft here for months. First comment is about walking dead, go figure. Off to the informational threads to make my hobby taste better, but first I wanted to share this video. Came across it today, awesome behind the scenes from season 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Only thing I can think of is there a lot more survivors that we don't know about as we're only following a few groups of people. There could be 1000s of other groups just like them holding out/ replenishing the zombie horde for the time being. If you think of how many millions of people there are.. and weve only seen groups of 100s. There HAS to be more survivors we just haven't come across just waiting to turn into zombies.

Only thing I can think of is there a lot more survivors that we don't know about as we're only following a few groups of people. There could be 1000s of other groups just like them holding out/ replenishing the zombie horde for the time being. If you think of how many millions of people there are.. and weve only seen groups of 100s. There HAS to be more survivors we just haven't come across just waiting to turn into zombies.

Yes but many of the zombies are obviously from the original apocalyptic events.
Things like cops in riot gear in the jail are from pre apocalypse and they look as good as the first zombies.
Any new zombies that come from the healthy population would be rare.
Many new deaths would be people that get eaten and the remaining new zombies would be few and far between.

Yes but many of the zombies are obviously from the original apocalyptic events.
Things like cops in riot gear in the jail are from pre apocalypse and they look as good as the first zombies.
Any new zombies that come from the healthy population would be rare.
Many new deaths would be people that get eaten and the remaining new zombies would be few and far between.

I would disagree.. The cops in riot gear should have held out longer.. thus be in better shape.

I don't understand why new zombies would be rare? They get scratched or just bitten without being eaten.. they are a pretty healthy body that is zombified without much deterioration. Thus still looking like a "new" zombie. I can't help to think with the immense amount of living people available... there wouldn't be a plethora of available bodies to be turned into zombies through multiple scenarios.

Take for instance the guy that died in the last episode.. a perfectly healthy body (though messed up mind) that could have been turned into a zombie through accident/negligence had he not been found by the group and killed/ fed to the zombies.

The reason I say they would be rare is because of two things.
First, the original horde of zombies came from converting probably 99 percent of the population of the planet. With only about one percent remaining you can't create as many zombies. We know there's a very small percentage of people who escaped becoming zombies because of the small number of survivors seen around and because whenever there is an institution like the jail there are few if any survivors and enough zombies or bodies to account for most of the people that would have been there.
Second, when the zombies attack they tend to eat the people and not leave enough to convert.
It's fiction, it borders on science fiction and it's got good writers so they may be able to come up with a twist that we wouldn't expect that could explain many of those things.

This gets mentioned occasionally, but we're watching a work of fiction, not nonfiction. You have to have a suspension of reality in order to accept that zombies have taken over the world, and that suspension would apply to other things as well.

one of the "fresh facts" from last week's episode of Talking Dead was that they were using make-up with more grey in it on the Walkers this season compared to the first.

zombies are re-animated corpses and would continue to decompose so there has to be some point where the deterioration is so bad that they just can't remain upright nor even shamble. which is why I think Zack Snyder was right and Romero was being an a-hole about "fast" zombies; freshly dead zombies would, I think, be able to get to running speeds, but would become much slower as time went on.

given the time frame of the entire show, up to this season (year & a half? 2 years?), I think it's entirely reasonable to presume there would be fewer and fewer fresh zombies and that eventually, with the aforementioned decomposing original zombies becoming "The Crawling Dead" and with survivors realizing that everyone turns no matter the manner of death, actual fresh zombies would become rare.

This gets mentioned occasionally, but we're watching a work of fiction, not nonfiction. You have to have a suspension of reality in order to accept that zombies have taken over the world, and that suspension would apply to other things as well.

true, but suspension of disbelief only goes so far. I can accept that zombies exist in a world where Romero never made his movies (the reason they don't use the word "zombie" in the show), but I have to draw the line at zombies that last forever.

another thing: I've always wondered why the singular form of the word "zombies" isn't "zomby"

one of the "fresh facts" from last week's episode of Talking Dead was that they were using make-up with more grey in it on the Walkers this season compared to the first.

zombies are re-animated corpses and would continue to decompose so there has to be some point where the deterioration is so bad that they just can't remain upright nor even shamble. which is why I think Zack Snyder was right and Romero was being an a-hole about "fast" zombies; freshly dead zombies would, I think, be able to get to running speeds, but would become much slower as time went on.

given the time frame of the entire show, up to this season (year & a half? 2 years?), I think it's entirely reasonable to presume there would be fewer and fewer fresh zombies and that eventually, with the aforementioned decomposing original zombies becoming "The Crawling Dead" and with survivors realizing that everyone turns no matter the manner of death, actual fresh zombies would become rare.

NoVA Homebrew in da house!

I disagree. A few others have explained this much better than I can, but basically any work of fiction unfolds within 'a world' and we can and should reasonably expect that world once defined, to follow certain rules. The Walking Dead is based in our world, and even though we're dealing with zombie fiction, everything else in the story has for the most part proven to still operate under our world's 'rules'.

I disagree. A few others have explained this much better than I can, but basically any work of fiction unfolds within 'a world' and we can and should reasonably expect that world once defined, to follow certain rules. The Walking Dead is based in our world, and even though we're dealing with zombie fiction, everything else in the story has for the most part proven to still operate under our world's 'rules'.

I disagree. Follow that logic through, and all the survivors need to do is drive straight up to the northern reaches of Canada, because all the zombies will be frozen solid. End of show.

Suspension of reality is core to this show. I get your point, and understand your perspective, but it doesn't make sense for a television show.

I don't think this show has gone too far outside the boundaries of our world, so I'm willing to give them some wiggle room about most things.

one big problem I have is that it seems there is no suburbia in The Walking Dead universe. They have big cities, small towns, rural farms and then wilderness. when Glenn and Maggie go looking for baby formula, it's a small town grocery.

what? can't find a strip mall or convenience store?

I disagree. Follow that logic through, and all the survivors need to do is drive straight up to the northern reaches of Canada, because all the zombies will be frozen solid. End of show.

Suspension of reality is core to this show. I get your point, and understand your perspective, but it doesn't make sense for a television show.

If you read The Zombie Survival Guide, and World War Z, the zombies in that universe decay very slowly due to the virus that turned them into zombies in the first place. Also, they do freeze in sub zero temperatures.

The Max Brooks world and the Robert Kirkman world aren't exactly the same but they are very similar which I guess is why I never really cared about the non decaying zombies.

They do touch on it in the comics, though it's probably at least a season away.

For the show, it wouldn't make sense to have them do something as obvious as what you just said - drive to Canada - but the point is, they could. As in, Canada exists in their world (more than likely at least, I don't recall Canada being mentioned).

Like I said, someone else explained it earlier much better than I just did, apparently this concept is actually "a thing" as far as fiction writing goes.

Forget the decaying zombies, use the guaranteed head shots as an example. Since we "know" that they are living in our world + zombies, there's no indication that anything else exists which makes them more likely to be super marksman than anything that exists in our world. That said, it is completely unbelievable that every time any character whips out a pistol, a guaranteed headshot is imminent. Even with the experience they now have, it's still not believable. I know people who have served multiple combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan, and have a fair amount of shooting under my own belt, and whenever we talk about the show at work, we laugh the hardest about this point. It's just nonsense the shooting skills they all have, right down to Carl.

yeah... the headshot thing bugs me too

and, when they spent 90% of last season searching for Sophia through the woods, covering the most amount of ground SINGLE-FILE?

WTF? you would think that Rick & Shane, as law enforcement officers would know better.

guess they have to make for better drama and for easier recording of dialog

Latest posts

Back