Just bottled first brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRBrewer

Reaction score
Hey guys, Just bottled up my first brew into 375, 355 and 1 or 2 335ML bottles. Mostly 375ML, just wondering I only fermented for around 4days and it was bubbling every like 4minutes or so (didn't time exactly).

I was reading that is this is the case it is ready for it to be bottled. I used the carbonation drops. 1 in each even with the smaller sizes... Was this wrong? Will I have bottle bombs?

Also it is cloudy looking did I not do something right? Just went straight from fermentor once empty I notice all the sediment at the bottom.

Any reply's would be great...

BRBrewer out.

Also would it be good to keep the different size bottles separate from each other? In case of bang from the size of carbonation drops in less liquid?

Did you take any SG readings? Normally after 4 days you are no where near ready to bottle. Id say you have a lot of potential bombs there.

So you bottled while the airlock was bubbling? If that's the case you bottled right in the middle of your fermentation process which will very likely lead to some grenades if they keep fermenting in the bottles.

When the airlock is bubbling that is CO2 being released from the yeasts fermting. Not that the airlock is a good guide, but at the minimum you want to wait a few days after the airlock has stopped and then take a hydrometer reading. If its at or really close to your final gravity, and your original gravity was correct, then and only then you should bottle.

I don't know exactly how your beer is going to turn out if you bottled during active fermentation but I know someone with more experience will chime in. For the time being put the bottles somewhere where you can possibly prepare for some broken glass and spilled beer. Good luck and ill keep my fingers crossed for yah!

Hydrometer? Says it was around 1.000 then at the 9 - 10 level.

I'm pretty sure you're not reading your hydrometer correctly. 1.000 is the gravity of water. When you add anything to the water (like beer ingredients) the gravity goes up. Typical starting gravities fall in the 1.040-1.060 ranges and final gravities in the 1.010-1.020. You also need to correct the reading based on the temperature of the liquid your measuring. The hydrometer should have came with some simple instructions and a conversion chart.

No matter what beer you brew at home, it will be cloudy like a Hefe. It is because we at home do not have the ability to filter the yeast out and if you do it will not carbonate.

I think you bottled way to early, at least let it ferment for 7-10 days, usually longer.

No matter what beer you brew at home, it will be cloudy like a Hefe. It is because we at home do not have the ability to filter the yeast out and if you do it will not carbonate.

I think you bottled way to early, at least let it ferment for 7-10 days, usually longer.

I have to jump in here- both to agree and disagree, sort of!

I brew beer at home, and my beer is crystal clear. Perfectly clear, like commercial beers. I do not filter, and don't plan to. I'll see if I can post up a picture of my beer, so you can see a homebrew. I'm sure I have one somewhere. I know that many of us have posted pictures of our clear brews, and not from filtering. If you'd like some information on clear beers and how to help clarify them, you can start another thread on it (so we don't hijack this one too much!) or look at some of the threads on it.

I don't know what kind of kit you've used, and I assume you're following the instructions. You'll probably be ok, since the fermentation had slowed down so much, but often kit instructions are notoriously bad. They don't want you to not buy the kit because beer takes a bit of time, so they encourage you to rush along the process. Yes, you'll make beer, but waiting at least 14 days before bottling (and even longer is better) will give you a cleaner, better tasting beer. Patience is rewarded in this hobby.

In the meantime, keep the bottles covered in a plastic tub or cardboard box, just in case.

The one thing I have learned about home brewing is: Time is your friend.
Next time in my opinion Leave your beer in the fermenter at LEAST 2 weeks, most people think 3-4 is better (me included due to recent batches). Then leave in the bottle 21 days then sample. If it tastes weird try one every two weeks till they taste good. Just stuff that I learned that works for me. All from these forums.

There is a rule of sorts you can follow called the 1-2-3 rule

1 week in the primary
2 weeks in the secondary
3 weeks in the bottle.

As you get more into brewing things will change and you will be a bit more patient with your beer (I certainly know what it's like to want that first beer to be done)

I've been brewing for a few years and I usually spend 1 to 3 weeks in the primary (3 if I don't plan on going to a secondary) 3 to 4 weeks in a secondary if I do that. Then I keg and let it cold condition for another month before I force carbonate it.

If you treat your beer with kindness and patience, it will return the favor!

I'm pretty sure you're not reading your hydrometer correctly. 1.000 is the gravity of water. When you add anything to the water (like beer ingredients) the gravity goes up. Typical starting gravities fall in the 1.040-1.060 ranges and final gravities in the 1.010-1.020. You also need to correct the reading based on the temperature of the liquid your measuring. The hydrometer should have came with some simple instructions and a conversion chart.

True the gravity of distilled water is 1.000 but the gravity of alcohol is considerably lower than 1.000 so it is very possible to get FG lower than 1.000. Although not probable with beer. I regular create libations with gravities as low as 1.0096.

OP. Yooper is right on the money. Because your Gravity is so low chances are your fermentation is far enough along that you are safe from bottle bombs. In fact bombs are a lot more difficult to achieve than most people would have you believe.

As far as the bubbles in the airlock, the rule of thumb is that if it is a minute or longer between bubbles than you are safe to bottle. The key word is 'safe.' This does not mean it is the best way to do it. In fact it is probably the worst gauge possible for when to move to the next step.

Thanks guys. No explosions yet. But see a layer of yeast forming on bottom of bottle which sucks... lol

What temp were you holding while in primary? I'm assuming a norm in the 60-70F range (15-20C-ish). Like most people have said, assuming a "normal" primary temp, you should be ok with 4-5 min bubbles in the airlock. If you fermented at a cooler temp, there could be possible issues due to slower fermentation and a relatively short fermentation period....

What temp were you holding while in primary? I'm assuming a norm in the 60-70F range (15-20C-ish). Like most people have said, assuming a "normal" primary temp, you should be ok with 4-5 min bubbles in the airlock. If you fermented at a cooler temp, there could be possible issues due to slower fermentation and a relatively short fermentation period....

Up around the 27 - 29*C mark. On my instructions is says at 27*C it would take 4days any lower around a week.

This is the most sensible discussion with a newbie that I have seen for a long time....

I agree. I'm more a fan of taking the few minutes to explain. Yes we could have told him to search or linked to a few FAQ's but isn't it just as easy to explain as it is to link? ;)

Up around the 27 - 29*C mark. On my instructions is says at 27*C it would take 4days any lower around a week.

Coopers kit?

If so, I can say that I've seen beer ferment in 4 days with a Coopers kit at the higher range of temps (~27C). That happened to be the worse tasting beer that I have brewed. But it was still good (first brew so of course I'm going to say that)...just not nearly as good as all the others.

Ummmm Coopers, a special mix of sugars etc from the local brew store. Its a mex style beer by Coopers.

First time so I just wanted to give it a go. If it turns out alright Ill do the whole secondary and everything etc.

Guys purchased another can of a Cascade Spicy Ghost Draught. I thought the description sounded beautiful.

' This wheat-inspired draught brew is ghostly pale with a spicy edge that hints at a frisky character. The flavor is haunted by orange and coriander with quenching tart shadows and a mysterious underplay of rum'

Going to go a full hog with a stay in the secondary for this one and a nice long age.

Update is no bombs yet from first brew. Its a week into maturing and clearing a lot.

Second brew is slowly bubbling away been 4 days in checked my FG and its still at around 1.035 and I am holding a steady temping of around 26 - 27*.

Update is no bombs yet from first brew. Its a week into maturing and clearing a lot.

Second brew is slowly bubbling away been 4 days in checked my FG and its still at around 1.035 and I am holding a steady temping of around 26 - 27*.

Cool, what do you have going this time around?

Cascade Spicy Ghost Draught

' This wheat-inspired draught brew is ghostly pale with a spicy edge that hints at a frisky character. The flavor is haunted by orange and coriander with quenching tart shadows and a mysterious underplay of rum'

Cascade, Coopers, you not from Aussie are you?
I made the spicy ghost about 5 years ago - would like to try and make it again, but with DME not white sugar! lol. amazing how much you can learn in a short time to make it taste MUCH better :)

Yeah Australian here.

Did you like it? Ive used a sugar mix which has 3 different parts to it from the local brew shop. Fermentation has been going for 7days and my reading is about 1.010 - 1.009 hard to tell...

In the instructions says it should be 1.006 or lower is this possible to achieve? Using a different sugar mix instead of just plain white sugar?

Should I move to secondary now?

Cool. Another Aussie! Technically I am Scottish but living in Hobart just now.

I would move it to secondary now. There is little rush when making beer. It is very unusual to ruin a beer by keeping it too long at any stage.

I made this beer a long time ago and as I said used white sugar. I also bottled it in plastic bottles, kept it in a hot shed and it tasted like cr@p. Yours on the other hand should taste a lot better.

I have had this beer at the pub on tap and it was good. Used to be one of the Cascade seasonal beers.

Where abouts in Oz are you?

Do you know the one two three rule? Primary, then secondary then three (@ least) in the bottle.
sniffing the wort is a worthwhile task! I have a cascade mahogany porter kit ready to make next week. Extra 2k of DME, fresh coffee and saazs hops.

Just read the whole thread. Your beer will not be cloudy And you already heard about the 123 rule about four months ago!

Been two weeks since I bottled first Coopers brew. Tasted one and don't like it yet. So back to the waiting game, tasted really yeasty and slightly bitter sort of.

Thinking about bottled 2nd one this afternoon been in the secondary for about a week and its cleared up A LOT.

Have you started a third batch yet? I'd suggest that when you do move away from the kits and do an extract with grains. Then give it plenty of time in the primary, maybe a dry hop in a secondary....3 weeks or a month more in bottles and brace yourself for the best beer you'll have made to date...I promise it'll be great if you're patient.

Back