Question for people who are handy: Chest Freezer repair

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neustkg

Reaction score
I've been looking for a decent (7cuft) chest freezer to convert to a kegerator (very simple conversion for a good working freezer). Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find one for a decent price (I don't want to buy one for say $125 and not use it as a freezer if you know what I mean). But I have found a few that aren't working and are free. What can I look for in a non working chest freezer that I can fix without too many problems? I figure the compressor isn't that hard to replace, but it might cost more than the freezer would be worth (used and working). Any suggestions? Boulder, CO used to have an appliance graveyard where you could get a lot of used parts for free. Unfortunately, it went out of business.

You can't fix them yourself anymore, because you need a license to charge them up with freon. And most refridgeration shops won't touch them. For the amount of labor that goes into fixing any leak and recharging the system you could buy brand new.

So would I be better off buying a used fridge for say $50, which would be an easier conversion for me as I have the taps (I just hope I can fit it down the stairs into the basement).

That would be your best bet.Find yourself a used (and working) fridge or freezer. Perhaps you could put an ad in the local paper in the "wanted to buy" section. I've done that before, with pretty goo results.

Check Craigslist.org, like this one, 5 miles away:

http://boulder.craigslist.org/hsh/563593655.html

Folks don't always post in "Boulder" sometimes they just use the default Denver listings.

I've picked up lots of stuff off Craigslist, but you have to act fast, it goes quick if it's a deal. I sold a car there. Picked up a full 02 bottle for $40, got me a free 5' tall nitrogen tank, .....

ditto on craigslist. I jusy got a great 9 cft chest freezer 3 years old no dents or scratches for 125$ Now all I need is everything to convert!! Which will drive my wife nuts..all I have is a temp controller so Im planning on making a few lagers until she forgets about it and than I will start buying stuff!!!:ban:

Jay

KiltLifter said:
Check Craigslist.org, like this one, 5 miles away:

http://boulder.craigslist.org/hsh/563593655.html

Folks don't always post in "Boulder" sometimes they just use the default Denver listings.

I've picked up lots of stuff off Craigslist, but you have to act fast, it goes quick if it's a deal. I sold a car there. Picked up a full 02 bottle for $40, got me a free 5' tall nitrogen tank, .....

Yeah, I've been looking at craigslist (I check Denver and Boulder, as well as Loveland/Fort Collins). I actually found a free chest freezer w/a bad seal, but haven't heard back from the person giving it away.

The first week I thought about getting a chest freezer to convert to kegerator, I saw maybe a dozen within 10-15 miles of my location and they were priced well imo. Unfortunately, they were sold the first day they were posted.

Back