Civil defense cannister as primary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BR00STER

Reaction score
Recently while visiting PA for a family reunion I came across a civil defense food/water canister in my grandfathers garage. It seems to be stainless steel and has an 11 gallon capacity. On the very top there is a pressure release valve that looks like I could plug up with a stopper and airlock. I thought it would be great for use as a primary fermenter. I doubt anyone has had experience with this exact container but I decided to jump on the forums to see if I could get any opinions before jumping into a 10 gallon batch.

Here are a few images of the container: Flickr: BR00WER's Photostream

I plan on splitting the brew into two corny kegs for secondary/serving.

Any advice or opinions would be much appreciated!

Wow...that thing is nice lookin. I don't think you'd have any problems doing what you've planned. As long as it's got a good seal. I would only do 8-9 gallon batches in it though unless you plan on drilling out the pressure relief valve to put in a blow off.

Does the type of stainless steel matter when you're fermenting? The OP said it was for water storage, but did the liquid actually come into contact with the SS? There are different kinds of SS, and I don't know- just asking.

That thing is pretty sweet!
IIRC The type of SS does not mater. The ribs might make it a little harder to clean properly though.

However, you might want to list it on ebay or take it to a antiques dealer, It might be worth a pretty penny to a collector...possibly parlay that into some other stuff.

@Rico567 - I originally was concerned about the type of steel as well but from what I've read there isn't any easy way to figure that out. And yes, any liquid they would have put in it during it's original use would have came in direct contact with the steel.

@GreenwoodRover - The inside is smooth, only the outside is ribbed. I've been looking for prices for similar items online but so far haven't found anything this large. (I've found quite a few 3 gallon containers though and they don't go for all that much.)

and @Suthrncomfrt1884 - Thanks for the tip, I was thinking I could possibly use some sort of foam control but better safe than sorry. I'm not in a position to need a full 10 gallons right now anyways!

Thanks for all the timely responses! Is there an easy way I could test how air tight this container is? This is my first experience outside of carboys and plastic. (I'm not as worried about the steel now but if anyone knows of any other concerns I should know I uploaded an additional picture that shows the inside as well)

It really doesn't have to be air-tight, just as long as the lid fits well. Looks like a great find.

That thing is beautiful! I'm a civil defense nerd as well as a brewer I would be torn between whether I would put it in my office or use it as a fermenter.

can you tell if it is insulated? you might be concerned about it keeping heat in.

That thing is beautiful! I'm a civil defense nerd as well as a brewer I would be torn between whether I would put it in my office or use it as a fermenter.

can you tell if it is insulated? you might be concerned about it keeping heat in.

Why wouldn't I be able to do both? :p

There is a good chance it is insulated. I'm thinking good airflow all around it may help to combat the problem to an extent. If not I've got a freezer I could mod to maintain the temp. (Just hoping not to do something like that right now, too lazy and a little strapped on cash.)

That thing is hideous. You better send it my way so I can dispose of it and you can take a carboy from me in exchange....

In all seriousness-that thing is Sweet!

Latest posts

Back