Random Question -- Garage Door Broken

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
I know this is quite OT, but you guys are usually pretty damn handy.

Both of my garage doors & openers are pretty damn old (20 years or so). One is still working flawlessly. The other is very selective when it works.

It seems to always respond when I push a button to open it (remote or on wall) but it rarely will close on command. The light on the actual machine will trigger when I push the button though. So I know that it is getting the signal.

When it won't close, I will pull the cord, drag it down the track to close the door, and reset the pin so it will go up next time i push the button. But this is getting old.

Any ideas on what I need to look at?

I don't think it's the spring or the track.

I know the newer ones have adjustments, and they can be tricky, especially if you don't have the manual. Our garage door got really bad recently, beyond what I could fix (and DO NOT mess with those springs, whatever you do) and we hired a guy to come out. It was $100 and he calibrated and lubed everything. Works great now.

I'd start by checking the limit switch that stops the motor when the door is open. Typically, that switch also 'sets' the reverse.

(Because the springs have a lot of energy stored in them and throw tools at high velocities. I've got a hole in my brewery's ceiling beause a wrench got loose as a semi-professional was taking the spring down.)

I've read not to mess w/ the springs a lot of places-- why is that?

As david stated, the springs can have a lot of potential energy stored in them with which to cause you great harm, and also the shear weight of the door crashing down if you happen to release springs unprepared.

Check the optical sensor. Make sure it is positioned properly, and make especially sure it is clean. Use an alcohol pad or q-tip to clean it, and you should be good to go. Your opener will always raise the door, but for safety reasons, it will not close if it senses an obstruction (kids, pets, homebrewers). Dirt on the lens could be blocking the beam causing it to read an obstruction that isn't there.

I ditto the replies you have received so far, the sensor is more than likely the issue.
I will emphasize the caution about the spring though. Those things can kill you if they get away while trying to adjust...

I don't have sensors on my door to search for something in the way. I believe this model was produced before that became standard.

I don't have sensors on my door to search for something in the way. I believe this model was produced before that became standard.

Hmmm, if is that old, maybe you need to wind the spring. :D

JK of course..... I am sure you have tried changing the batteries in the remotes already. Not too sure why a remote would open it but not cause it to make any attempt to close.

I've read not to mess w/ the springs a lot of places-- why is that?

Springs, especially torsion springs that are above the door perpendicular to the tracks, are downright dangerous. The kind with springs that run along the track on the side are a lot safer to work with. Also, there is a new "easy set" torsion spring on the market that you use a power drill to tension the spring rather than a couple metal rods and a wrench. The older torsion springs are one of those things where having the right tool is mandatory for safety and a lot of hardware stores simply refuse to sell those tools to the public for fear of liability, we are after all talking about the kind of force that could throw a steel rod through your body. I consider myself fairly handy around the house, but that spring is the one (ONLY!) thing I simply will not tackle and if it ever breaks again I'll be getting it replaced with on of the easy set ones.

Oh, if there is a switch that indicates the closed position and it is failing/has failed the door might simply refuse to close. Reseting things makes it forget that the switch didn't work last time so the door goes down until the pressure limit kicks in, then it goes up the next time but because the closed switch didn't work it won't go back down.

Edit: got a make and model of the opener?

I'll try these things when I get home today and if it doesn't work, I'll post the make and model. Thanks guys-- you've been a big help!

Mod- move to 'General Chit Chat' and delete my post. Thanks!

BTW OP, hope these suggestions work out for you!

Back