Chili ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfess1

Reaction score
So I take my smoker down to the Temple Football games to tailgate with. While not a graduate of the school, it's pure fun. That's beside the point. The people on "Tailgate Row" have gotten together to have a "Tailgate Chili Cookoff" at the next home game. Rules are pretty simple, doesn't have to be cooked on site as you only get 5 hrs to tailgate anyway, and not everyone is bringing down a complete kitchen, after that they basically don't want you buying someone else's chili and trying to pass it as your own.

I'm not a huge chili fan, just never ate it much growing up. I was going to go with something along the following:

Cook up the onions/peppers/beans/sauce mixture the night before and put it in some kind sealable tupperware.

At the same time, smoke a brisket the night before, let it rest and then chop it up in a sealable bag.

During the tailgate, combine the brisket and the bean mixture into a disposable lasagna pan, and throw in the smoker to get a little smoke and to heat it up. I use applewood, so I don't think this will be too much smoke, but open to suggestions there.

In terms of the actual recipe, I have no idea. I figure onions/garlic/green peppers/a decent amount of jalepeno's, and one or two habenero's. Does this need any crushed tomatoes? do you really need much in the way of spices if already using the peppers for the heat? And I should be getting the smoke from the brisket in there. I guess i need to figure on the "color", but think that would come from the tomatoes. And pinto beans.

What do you all like to do with your chili?

I came here to suggest brisket. Smoked brisket takes your chili up a notch or two.

We like to do a variety of peppers. Anaheims, jalepenos, serranos and I really like poblanos in there. We like tomatoes in our chili, so I'd recommend that.

Here is my chicken chili. Pretty easy with a crock pot and I've won some inter office competitions. You can substitute the meat and its fine just adjust the other ingredients to the weight of the meat after its been cut.

Add ingredients in the order below:

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups diced onions
1 cup diced green peppers
4 teaspoons minced garlic
2 lbs ground chicken
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons basil
2 X 28 oz cans Diced tomatoes
15 oz can tomato sauce
1 cup chicken broth
1 can Dark Red Kidney Beans undrained
1 can Black Beans undrained
2 tablespoons diced jalapeno

Boil until preferred consistency

Side: Cornbread with 2 tablespoons jalapeno and 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro

Also a soup but more a chili if you want to smoke a chicken:
http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/bbq-chicken-soup/

You definitely want to add some chili powder (at least 2 tbls) and I like to add ground Cumin (1 tbls). A can of fire roasted diced tomatoes works too.

Unofficially or officially, something like that, chili shouldn't have beans. I don't think. I have put red beans in my chili though.

Beans or no beans is a matter of preference. If you are adding beans, I wouldn't let them cook for a very long duration or else you risk the beans losing all their texture and just becoming mush. Same goes for any bell peppers. I usually add onions again near the end so I have some solidish onions left.

I have added gypsum to a few chilis, as the calcium helps preserve the bean integrity (apparently its the calcium in molasses that makes baked beans work).

I'd also drain and rinse the beans if you are dead-set on using canned beans. Otherwise, why not try rehydrating dried beans with a nice malty homebrew?

If you have the brisket already, I guess that's fine. If you have the choice, I'd do an eye round roast instead and cube it up after smoking it.

the first 20 chili recipes I search for all have beans in them, mostly red kidney beans (dark red is better for you) some kidney and black/pinto so I'd have to disagree that beans are a among one of the main ingredients.

I didn't realize beans was such a contested stance, but makes sense. Much like how each region likes their que. I'll admit, I was adding the brisket because I wanted to make up some burnt ends. :D I have no strong inclinations there.

more importantly, no has tried the bourbon or bakers choclate? I figured the chocolate at least would add depth and help balance the heat.

dfess1 said:
I didn't realize beans was such a contested stance, but makes sense. Much like how each region likes their que. I'll admit, I was adding the brisket because I wanted to make up some burnt ends. :D I have no strong inclinations there.

more importantly, no has tried the bourbon or bakers choclate? I figured the chocolate at least would add depth and help balance the heat.

I use a little cocoa powder in my chili

I have done both bourbon and chocolate. I think you can get away with more heat because the chocolate adds a perceived sweetness/savory aspect to balance. I've also added coffee with similar results. I know this place in Rhode Island used to use peanut butter, before everyone developed a nut allergy.

I should point out that I actually don't care whether you put beans in your chili... Just stirring the pot. Some folks take this WAY too seriously!

http://lifehacker.com/beans-vs-no-beans-your-arguments-for-the-best-chili-510532114

I don't know why, but I chuckled at this:

Also, it's important to remember that the International Chili Society consists of regular, opinionated people who hold themselves to their own standards.

So what about pieces of thick cut bacon (because hey, bacon makes everything taste better right?)?? Or am I getting out of "chili" realm and into "stew"?

Thanks for the article bwarbiany. Seems like it is a North v South thing, being the North like the beans but I live in the South and the majority of the chili I eat has beans. Texans are the strongest against it given their meat. It points out the chili powder is more important than whether it has meat, beans, or whatever. However I can not understand the statements about whether or not to add meat as I prioritize that over the beans.

Personally I like chili without beans. Yesterday I got desperate and had a bowl of Wendy's chili.

Next week I am making a batch. The recipe for this batch is still being developed but one think for sure, it will have is a nice amount of ground venison.

Most will find that chili, like casseroles and pretty much anything else are best if cooked low and slow. I precook the meat then throw everything together in the slow cooker in the fridge overnight. Then I throw it on low for at least 8 hours. And yet it is still better the next day. Chili needs to meld.

Well the cookoff is tomorrow. So, I've got a full packer cut going on the smoker. It's time to get the rest of this put together.

emmm, bacon......

20131115_105756.jpg

The dog will not leave my side. The nose is going.

20131115_112311.jpg

Peppers and onions. I went down the pepper aisle at Wegmans. Base of sweet onions and sweet peppers (3 or 4 of each), couple pabloano's, lots of jalepeno's, 3 cherries, and 4 or 5 serrento's.

20131115_110448.jpg

Once those are done cooking in rendered bacon fat, I'll be added the rest of this stuff and some chili powders and other various dried spices.

20131115_110611.jpg

So the recipe I'm loosly going off of, calls for beef broth. I'm thinking of changing that up to double black IPA, or at least a 50/50 split. Thoughts?

Added the Double Black IPA, bringing it up to a boil now.

20131115_120130.jpg

Headed to the liqour store for some cooking bourbon, aka Jim Beam. Sure as hell not throwing Blanton's in this stuff!

The dog still will not leave the kitchen. Not sure if it's because of this....

20131115_120136.jpg

Most will find that chili, like casseroles and pretty much anything else are best if cooked low and slow. I precook the meat then throw everything together in the slow cooker in the fridge overnight. Then I throw it on low for at least 8 hours. And yet it is still better the next day. Chili needs to meld.

A lot of modern competition recipes incorporate a rest during the cook that is meant to replicate the so-called next day effect in the same day. I've been trying this in my chili recipes for quite a while now and, while I can certainly say that it does make a big difference, it's still better the next day.

So the recipe I'm loosly going off of, calls for beef broth. I'm thinking of changing that up to double black IPA, or at least a 50/50 split. Thoughts?

I'd leave all the broth in and add the IPA as well.. If anything I might only add half the IPA if it's very bitter.

A lot of modern competition recipes incorporate a rest during the cook that is meant to replicate the so-called next day effect in the same day. I've been trying this in my chili recipes for quite a while now and, while I can certainly say that it does make a big difference, it's still better the next day.

I premix the night before (all ingredients in and wrap and throw in the fridge). Then throw in the slow cooker the next morning and let it go while I am at work. Kinda blends, yet as always still better the next day.

Back