Carboys at walmart for 11 dollas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pojobrown

Reaction score
Walmart has a 5 gallon Carnot thing filled with "fresh spring water". Would that work for a fermenter?

Plastic that holds water. I don't know. What type of plastic does it need to be

Certain plastics are food grade. Others will tend to leech off flavors into your brew more readily. HDPE is the commonly accepted type for plastic fermenters. You can get food-grade buckets at Home Depot for a pretty similar price, if memory serves.

You need the numbers off the bottom of the jug to know if you can use it. Can't remember them off hand but I am sure someone will chime in with them soon enough. In short some plastics aren't a good idea for fermenting/brewing but some work perfectly well.

IIRC 2 is an OK one. It will usually have the polymer acronym printed as well. I believe 2 corresponds to High Density Polyethylene (HDPE).

Needs to be a #1 or #2 plastic. The ones I have seen at Lowes are a #7.

Some walmarts do indeed carry the <1> and <2> that can be used. There's a dicussion and sort of a watch list going on here.

Thanx Again for the info Revvy! Sometimes there's just to much Info on here I get lost (do it this way, no do it that way). LOL

What I don't understand is.. why is this even an issue? If it is designed to sell water in.. water for drinking.. would it not necessarily HAVE to be food safe? Looks like the same plastic as the Alhambra water bottles to me. They are not made for selling/storing non-foodstuff liquids. I'm using one now for storing my boiled water and will likely get one more.. but will likely be the 3 gal to use as top off water. I'm ready for new education.

What I don't understand is.. why is this even an issue? If it is designed to sell water in.. water for drinking.. would it not necessarily HAVE to be food safe? Looks like the same plastic as the Alhambra water bottles to me. I'm using one now and will likely get one more.. but will likely be the 3 gal to use as top off water.

I know. In all honesty I think even worrying about number 7's is probably overblown.

Brewtus, who is a plastics guy posted a pretty detailed post clearing up a lot of misunderstandings about plastics in terms of coolers as mash tuns here, I think a lot of it probably applies to this topic as well.

What I don't understand is.. why is this even an issue? If it is designed to sell water in.. water for drinking.. would it not necessarily HAVE to be food safe? Looks like the same plastic as the Alhambra water bottles to me. They are not made for selling/storing non-foodstuff liquids. I'm using one now for storing my boiled water and will likely get one more.. but will likely be the 3 gal to use as top off water. I'm ready for new education.

Water has a more or less neutral pH and doesn't contain ethanol, which increase the likelihood of leaching nasties from the plastic, like BPA. If you don't worry about the possibility of consuming endocrine disrupting chemicals in low concentrations, then you're fine.

Also, polycarbonate plastic is MUCH more oxygen permeable than PET, and about the same as HDPE, so it's not a good idea to use it as a bright/conditioning tank.

Back