Does Gambrinus Wheat have diastatic power?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would assume it has about the same as any other what malt, why wouldn't you? Though I can't find any specific information on what t he exact number is, their website suggests that it can be used for over 80% of the grist bill, which def means it has at least enough DP to convert itself.

I would assume it has about the same as any other what malt, why wouldn't you? Though I can't find any specific information on what t he exact number is, their website suggests that it can be used for over 80% of the grist bill, which def means it has at least enough DP to convert itself.

I keep finding online stats saying zero diastatic power for gambrinus-brand malted wheat, but nothing official I think. I was wondering if this was a misconception or legit. I've heard elsewhere that wheat malt usually can convert itself.

The LHBS said that Gambrinus wheat malt has enough enzymes to convert itself, so I'll go ahead with that assumption. Maybe the online stats I keep seeing just assume a zero for diastatic power where no measurement is available. Kinda misleading, but whatevs.

Cheers for all the replies.

I use Gambrinus organic wheat malt and it has converted just fine, up to 50% of the grain bill, if memory serves correctly.

I phoned my LHBS and they said that their wheat malt (which is Gambrinus) has enough diastatic power to convert itself. I'll assume it's fine. I'm planning on using it in a partial mash with crystal malts and a little 2-row. I'd have to beef up the 2-row if the wheat couldn't handle it's own conversion.

Cheers all.

Latest posts

Back