Question about Kegging? Need Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andoniu83

Reaction score
Just purchased a dual keg system through midwest supplies. I need to purchase a refrigerator that can fit both 5 gallon soda kegs, 5lb. CO2 canister and all hoses. My ultimate goal is to run lines to have a draft system through the refrigerator.

What is the minimum size fridge in regards to cubic feet I can go with to ensure enough space for everything? Im on a budget so looking for something under 300 dollars. Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Andrew

In the DIY forum there are several threads on this subject including pics and tutorials

I went with the sanyo I got on craigs list for $60

I found a 7.2 cuft. Chest Freezer on Craigslist and made a Kegerator that holds 6 cornys or 4 cornys and CO2

you'll just have to put a Temp. Regulator on it.

i have a 5.2 cu freezer, i currently fit 2 kegs and CO2 without a collar on it. Once i build the collar i'll fit 4 kegs inside and leave the CO2 outside.

Yeah for $300 you could probably get a decent sized chest freezer, especially if you get one off of Craigslist, that will fit plenty of kegs and have extra room for fermenting or lagering beer. There is a thread here somewhere about sizing a chest freezer for kegs, where you can make little paper or cardboard cutouts of the kegs to put in there and see how many will fit.

For refrigerators, it is difficult to just go by cubic feet because the internal dimensions can vary quite a bit, and include formed plastic shelves and whatnot which get in the way and signifcantly decrease the usable area inside. For chest freezers this isn't as big of a problem, but you do have to watch out, especially in smaller ones, because there is often a big hump in the bottom where the compressor goes, where a keg often won't fit without adding a sizable collar to extend the height of the freezer.

My chest freezer is 7.2 cu ft - purchased for $50 off of Craigslist. $60 temp controller and you are golden.

Search for the keezer build threads. I think there is officially 200 of them, all a fun read. :rockin: You can go the fridge route too, I think most people prefer the chest freezer just because it is easier to quickly put a collar on it and drill holes through that for your taps. But lots of different ways, all of them are great.

And just keep an eye on craigslist for used stuff.

If you want to run to Indy I have a 23 cu ft freezer available for $125. It's my buddy's and it was too damn big to fit down my basement stairs. I don't know how many kegs it would hold, but it was good for 7-8 carboys. Check craigslist, I found a 3 month old 7cuft for $135 this morning, the owner is moving. I see stuff well under $300 on there all of the time in Indy.

For $300, you can buy a 7 cu ft chest freezer and the johnson thermostat. Fits 4 kegs and a small co2 bottle

Back