protein rest...how to

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

70Cuda383

Reaction score
I'm considering a wheat beer for my next batch. my wife LOVES wheat beer, and she's tired of the hoppy stuff, or the heavy stouts/porters I've been making.

my question is on the protein rest. if using a cooler converted to mash tun, what's the best way to increase temp after a protein rest? is it ok to mash with MORE water than 1 quart per pound?

I'm thinking of adding the wheat and rest it at 122 in the cooler. then add water around 200 degrees to bring the temp up to 155 and add the barley to the mix for the sugar conversion.

...will this work? or should I try to do a protein rest in a stew pot on the stove and use electric heat to increase the temp before putting it all into the cooler?

is it ok to add MORE than 1 qt per lb of grain if needed to increase the temp of the mashtun? or will the extra water dilute the mix out somehow, preventing the enzymes from doing their conversion?

ok, let's use numbers to help...

let's say I want a 50/50 wheat/malt bill.

5 lbs of wheat and 5 lbs of barley.

protein rest the wheat with 5 quarts of water at 122 (probably have to heat it up to around 135-140, dump it in the cooler, then add wheat, to stabilize at around 122) after say, 30 minutes, add 5 quarts of boiling water, assuming wheat/water is still at 120, theoretically bringing my water up to 165, then the 5 lbs of barley will cool it back down to 155 or so. then being my mash time.

or, should I add an extra quart or 2 of water when I add the barley, to bring the temps up a few more degrees, because the barely will drop it more than 10 degrees?

or, should I mix wheat and barley together and protein rest the whole thing, then use the stove to heat it all up to 155 for the rest of the mash?

aye!! maybe I should just ask...how do you brew your wheat beer!:ban:

ok...I had to google that! still learning here!:tank:

so I just boil the wheat separately, THEN mash out with the barley?

what about tannins? the partial grain/extract batches I started with said to steep the grains below 160 to avoid releasing bitter tasting tannins to the wort.

I can boil the wheat to break down the walls of the grains, and not worry about tannins? or does wheat not have tannins? how long should I boil?

I have no idea about a decotion or a protein rest for wheat. I use 6-row and wheat, mash in the 150-155f range. Never had any issues...

Most protein rests were done for barley that was under modified. I am pretty sure the ONLY grains that need a protein rest are the pilsen malts (There is one malter that malts a pilsen malt that is fully modded so no protein rest is need for that grain either but I can not remember which one.)

EDIT: To answer your question, a protein rest is done from the 128-138F temp range for 10-20 minutes prior to the mash in. Performing a protein rest when it is not needed may reduce your head retention.

I've read wheat beers are higher in protein, thus their hazy color. almost every recipe on beerrecipe.org for a wheat beer, speaks of a protein rest for the wheat beers.

but, maybe I'll just go at it like any other beer. what's the worst that can happen, eh!?

OP, yes, you can do a 2 step infusion mash. First, you really need to use software to get the amounts and temps right (at least close... be prepared for small adjustments in real time).

Start with a thick mash for the protein rest, then add additional water to get to your sacc rest. I think thinner mashes benefit starch conversion, so it'll all be OK.

I've done this before. No matter what the software says, I'd add near boiling water for the second infusion. It can be problematic getting up to that second temp if you don't.

OP, yes, you can do a 2 step infusion mash. First, you really need to use software to get the amounts and temps right (at least close... be prepared for small adjustments in real time).

Start with a thick mash for the protein rest, then add additional water to get to your sacc rest. I think thinner mashes benefit starch conversion, so it'll all be OK.

I've done this before. No matter what the software says, I'd add near boiling water for the second infusion. It can be problematic getting up to that second temp if you don't.

Thanks! how "thick" do you do? 1/2 quart per lb of wheat?

Thanks! how "thick" do you do? 1/2 quart per lb of wheat?

Wheat in the mash will already be a thick mess. I'd go more if possible. I don't know how big your mash tun is, so that will dictate what you do. Like I said, you should consider software. Maybe someone can do this for you using beersmith. You really need to understand the software to make this work right, but it will do it for yuou.

I'm considering a wheat beer for my next batch. my wife LOVES wheat beer, and she's tired of the hoppy stuff, or the heavy stouts/porters I've been making.

my question is on the protein rest. if using a cooler converted to mash tun, what's the best way to increase temp after a protein rest? is it ok to mash with MORE water than 1 quart per pound?

I'm thinking of adding the wheat and rest it at 122 in the cooler. then add water around 200 degrees to bring the temp up to 155 and add the barley to the mix for the sugar conversion.

...will this work? or should I try to do a protein rest in a stew pot on the stove and use electric heat to increase the temp before putting it all into the cooler?

is it ok to add MORE than 1 qt per lb of grain if needed to increase the temp of the mashtun? or will the extra water dilute the mix out somehow, preventing the enzymes from doing their conversion?

ok, let's use numbers to help...

let's say I want a 50/50 wheat/malt bill.

5 lbs of wheat and 5 lbs of barley.

protein rest the wheat with 5 quarts of water at 122 (probably have to heat it up to around 135-140, dump it in the cooler, then add wheat, to stabilize at around 122) after say, 30 minutes, add 5 quarts of boiling water, assuming wheat/water is still at 120, theoretically bringing my water up to 165, then the 5 lbs of barley will cool it back down to 155 or so. then being my mash time.

or, should I add an extra quart or 2 of water when I add the barley, to bring the temps up a few more degrees, because the barely will drop it more than 10 degrees?

or, should I mix wheat and barley together and protein rest the whole thing, then use the stove to heat it all up to 155 for the rest of the mash?

aye!! maybe I should just ask...how do you brew your wheat beer!:ban:

I'm doing a partial mash of a wheat recipe right now actually, just on my way out to get started. Beersmith is saying the following for a 10 gallon cooler setup:

Protein Rest 5.5q in at 134 for 20 minutes
Sac-4q in at 210
Mash Out- 4.5q at 203

Batch sparge 3.3g at 176.

Back