Boiling pot size question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I do Partial Boils and purchased a 5g boiling pot after goign 10 batches with a 4g pot.

What I found was that while my stove really struggles to boil a 5g pot, the temp seemed to be easier to control in a 5g pot for a mini mash.

SO - WOULD a 5g pot be easier to control the same amount of wort (temp wise) or was it just perceived.

The larger the volume in quarts or gallons the more the mass hence slower temp rise or fall per given heat source. Your more stable holding the temps with that larger volume. Go for full boils with 13-14 or more gallons for a 10+ gallon net in two corny's then see how long it takes to heat or cool that larger volume. Everything must be scaled up an equal amount in volume of gallons, heat in BTU's and chiller size for cooling a larger brewing system.
On heating how much of the burners heat in BTU's is wasted not making contact with the boil keg and just shooting out the sides?
Nuff said i'll shut up.

I had the same amount of volume - just a different size pot. Both cover the heating element completely.

One seemed to keep a more even temp but was taking much longer to boil with the 4g put the temp seemed to fluctuate more but easier to boil.

Or I'm just saying what I THINK was happening.

I stand corrected your last reply said heating element I was thinking you were heating with propane or natural gas.
Unless the pot is in a breeze pulling or a lost of of BTU's on a small boil volume you should heat up faster. The pot insulated, this makes a big difference in heating time with electric heating. The element wattage also makes a big difference. This element a 240 volt unit run on 240 or reduced running on 120 volts? Without adding the possible scorching factor.

Back