fermentation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanceromance

Reaction score
Just built a fermentation chamber (wine fridge) and digital controller. I have the sensor attached to the fermentation bucket and insulated by foam. If i want do ferment the beer at 65deg do set the chamber for 65deg or should i set for a few deg lower because the temp inside the fermentor will be higher? Or is the senser on the bucket a good indication of fermenting temperature?

maybe I am not understanding, but shouldn't you plug your refrigerator into the digital controller, then set you temp on the digital controller to 65? When the controller senses the temp of your bucket is getting too high, it will turn on the fridge. I would set the fridge temp down lower than 65 so the fridge doesn't turn itself off.

Because the yeast action generates heat, the temp in the bucket can be as much as 10 degrees higher than the temp of the surrounding air. I will usually set my thermostat for the low end of the yeast range to start. Once it starts, I go a little lower - maybe a few degrees below figuring it is warmer in the bucket. Then, as the activity calms down, I gradually raise the temp to the high end of the range.

Others may slap me down but I think the temp is important but not critical. A few degrees won't be noticed but if you are unregulated and the room temp is 72, you could be looking at 82 in the bucket and that is probably not what you want for most beer.

vanceromance said:
Just built a fermentation chamber (wine fridge) and digital controller. I have the sensor attached to the fermentation bucket and insulated by foam. If i want do ferment the beer at 65deg do set the chamber for 65deg or should i set for a few deg lower because the temp inside the fermentor will be higher? Or is the senser on the bucket a good indication of fermenting temperature?

Lots of data show a well insulated thermistor attached to the side of the fermtentor will accurately read the temperature of the contents. So your setup is good.

Just set the temperature control panel to the temp you want to ferment at, and the fridge will turn on to keep the fermenting beer at that temp. No need to set it lower. When fermentation heats up, the fridge simply run more often and longer to keep beer temps stable at your set point.

OK thanks. That is what I have. The fridge turns on to control the temperature of the thermistor attached to the side of the bucket. I was jsut confused by people often saying that the temperature of the fermenting wort is higher than the temperature outside the fermentor. Sounds like I am doing it OK.

vanceromance said:
OK thanks. That is what I have. The fridge turns on to control the temperature of the thermistor attached to the side of the bucket. I was jsut confused by people often saying that the temperature of the fermenting wort is higher than the temperature outside the fermentor. Sounds like I am doing it OK.

That statement is correct in uncontrolled fermentation with regards to the difference between fermenting beer vs. ambient temperature. For the typical 5 gal batch, a fridge with temp controller thermistor attached to the fermentor and insulated from ambient temps within the fridge, will control the fermenting beer temps to within 1°F (ex.: at a 65°F setpoint, the fridge turns on at 66°F and off 65°F).

Back