Where to go on vacation that has good beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangfreak

Reaction score
I'm almost done with this deployment, and I'm going to be in need of a nice small vacation when I get back. Sure I could stay in my new apartment and drink home brew, but I want to go somewhere new and see new places and try new beer.

I don't want to spend too much, like $500-600 (is this too low? I don't take many vacations). And would like to tour a few breweries and have a nice selection of beer to choose from.

I'm in Abilene TX, so I dont want to go to far out, but if its worth it I will.

Anyone have any input?

here's a list of breweries in Texas.

(512) Brewing Company, (website) - Austin, Texas.
Franconia Brewing Company, (website) - McKinney, Texas.
Fredericksburg Brewing Company, (website) - Fredericksburg, Texas.
Freetail Brewing Company, (website) - San Antonio, Texas.
Independence Brewing Company, (website) - Austin, Texas.
Jester King Craft Brewery, (website) - Austin, Texas.
Live Oak Brewing Company, (website) - Austin, Texas.
New Republic Brewing Company, (website) - College Station, Texas.
Rahr and Sons Brewing Company, (website) - Fort Worth, Texas.
Ranger Creek Brewing & Distilling, (website) - San Antonio, Texas.
Real Ale Brewing Company, (website) - Blanco, Texas.
Saint Arnold, (website) - Houston, Texas .
Southern Star Brewing Company, (website) - Conroe, Texas.
Spoetzl Brewery, (website) - Shiner, Texas Commonly referred to as Shiner, this is the oldest independent brewery in Texas. Most known for their beer, Shiner Bock.
Thirsty Planet Brewing, (website) - Austin, Texas.
Twisted X Brewing Company - Tex Mex Beer, (website) - Cedar Park, Texas.
Circle Brewing Company, ([1]) - Austin, Texas.

Shiner is good tour. That's only one I've been to in TX.

I never would have suggested this a few years ago, but St. Louis has an amazing beer scene right now. It's not Portland, but it's great.

San Diego might be doable on that budget. They have a great beer scene and plenty of other things to do too.

First choice: Belgium. I would consider this Mecca and a destination for ALL brewers in their lifetime.

Second choice: Cascadia. San Francisco to BC (Canada). Okay, hit San Diego first, but BURN LA on your way....

I think I'll just do Austin this trip. San Diego was an option, but I don't think I could swing it on this budget. Thanks for the help guys

Thanks for supporting :)

Got a plan roughly down.

Aug 4-8

Flying Saucer
The ginger Man
Alamo Draft House
512 Brewery (Saturday)
Live Oak Brwery (Monday)
Specs (gotta stock up on beer as much as my Mustang will carry! lol
And of course gotta visit Austin Homebrew Supply!

Anyone else have any input? I'm going to try to go to other brewerys as well, hopefully they have tours during that time period. Also, where are some good eats in that area?

Im originally from houston and went to school in college station. My vote would be Austin. Im not sure it would be a "vacation" though...

Edit: If you go to the houston area you must go to the St. Arnold's Brewery. Some of the best beer texas has to offer.

JohnTheBrewist said:
San Diego might be doable on that budget. They have a great beer scene and plenty of other things to do too.

I second this. Awesome beer scene. I love living in SD.

Thank you for you service and sacrifices. No amount of words (or beer) can express the gratitude I have.

If you ever make it up north to Wisconsin, look me up and we'll take a tour of breweries. Probably won't happen on this budget ($4 gas), but I'll catch you on the next round.

Back