About to Bottle, how do i reuse my yeast in my fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThaDutchMasta

Reaction score
I searched for culturing yeast but didn't find too many helpful links. I have a 23 Qt pressure cooker and was wondering if i should just make a sweet wort on a small scale, autoclave it in a pyrex glass or something similar and then collect the yeast at the bottom with a spoon that was autoclaved. any tips?
thanks yall!

If you search for "yeast washing" you'll find tons of information. Autoclaving is not necessary, just being sanitary is fine. You can also "pitch on the cake", if you just want to throw your next batch on the current yeast cake in the fermenter. I washed a pacific ale yeast ages ago, and still have about 3 jars left! It definitely helps save money.

ThaDutchMasta said:
I searched for culturing yeast but didn't find too many helpful links. I have a 23 Qt pressure cooker and was wondering if i should just make a sweet wort on a small scale, autoclave it in a pyrex glass or something similar and then collect the yeast at the bottom with a spoon that was autoclaved. any tips?
thanks yall!

Check out the forum, "General Technique". also here:
http://www.donosborn.com/homebrew/yeast_washing_the_wyeast_way.htm

I've done the "pitch on the cake" routine a few times. It works great, and if you're using expensive liquid yeast I'd highly recommend that you get two batches out of each pack.

The best thing about it? You get vigorous fermentation almost instantly instead of having to wait around for 12-24 hours waiting to see if your yeast will take off.

As long as your not going for a beer lighter than what the previous beer was, go ahead and make up your next batch right on top of the yeast. No need to wash it. But if your previous batch was a stout, and your trying to make a pale ale, then the taste will probably be too noticeable.

Correct me if I am wrong, because I make this up as I go along.... I read a lot, but I drink a lot, too. Sometimes while racking from primary to secondary, I will take maybe 6 or 8 ounces of trub and put it in a glass and put plastic wrap over it while I am brewing another batch. Instead of pitching over a yeast cake, I want to clean out the bucket. The trub that I put in a glass has been in 5 or 6 % ABV wort for three weeks, and I don't sanitize anything. A couple hours later I pour the trub, along with my freshly hydrated yeast into the next batch and I get airlock activity in no time.

Sometimes if the trub is already 1" inch thick, I don't want to pitch over it and overfill my bucket. Sometimes the bucket stanks, and I just want to clean it. I feel like since the trub is already soaking in alcohol further sanitation of the glass is not necessary.

Well you know how it is, ask 10 homebrewers a question and get 15 different answers. Personally, doing it how you mentioned, I would sanitize whatever glass I put the trub/beer slurry into and cover it with a sanitized piece of tinfoil while I cleaned out my fermentor.

The alcohol/yeast slurry are sanitized to each other, yes, but I wouldn't want to add anything new into the mix with a non santized container.

Back