dose this look normal for a yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

songe

Reaction score
Ok so im a newb at AG BIAB brewing.. and when i brewed belgian beer before... i had yeast and foam spewing out of the blowoff hose....

but with the triple fermenting now... WLP500... and well... it looks like literally **** on the top

sorry for bad photo... its night and phone is rubbish.. but you can see it quite good

2013-10-27 02.23.07.jpg

That looks like my 3787 belgian yeast. And the krausen never does fall on mine :D. I just have to rack from under it.

ah.. Cause i never had yeast look like this. the 3787 belgian yeast.. is the "same" as the WLP500 i guess

How long has this been fermenting? I never even look at my beer until after 3 weeks in primary have passed. Some folks love to keep opening their fermenters and looking at it. You are going to worry yourself and make yourself frantic, and possibly invite a contamination.
It's a triple, let it sit for a while.

ah.. Cause i never had yeast look like this. the 3787 belgian yeast [westmalle].. is the "same" as the WLP500 [chimay, I think] i guess

No, not the same strain, but "regionally speaking" they are very similar. WLP530 would be same in white labs (Westmalle). I feel that an important aspect is the source of these yeasts (i.e. the monks) and their common characteristics, thus the similar fermentations.

Its a glass cardboy so i can see trough the glass :p like i told earlyer.. its my first all grain.. i have 120 liters of beer kits under my belt and 5 gals of mead :p

its been a few days... but i was just worried that i ****ed things up.

At what temp should it ferment? its about 20c here at day and 18 at night. Too cold would make it an earthier tasting beer.. but what do they mean by that?

Its a glass cardboy so i can see trough the glass :p like i told earlyer.. its my first all grain.. i have 120 liters of beer kits under my belt and 5 gals of mead :p

its been a few days... but i was just worried that i ****ed things up.

At what temp should it ferment? its about 20c here at day and 18 at night. Too cold would make it an earthier tasting beer.. but what do they mean by that?

Hold your wort at 17°C to 18°C. Fermentation produces heat. An ambient temperture of 18°C could let your wort rise as high as 23°C. This temperature will produce off tastes.

ok. i will set it at 10c in 2nd fermenter to clear it up a bit. Looks like fermentation has slown down quit a bit after 3 days.

Latest posts

Back