hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybrewer09

Reaction score
Trying to come up with a hop schedule for a beer and I'm drawing a blank.
I want to use a FWH.
This is what I've come up with.

1oz cascade (FWH)
3/4oz cascade (60)
1/2oz cascade (10)
1/2oz Amarillo (10)
1/2oz Amarillo (FO)
1/2oz cascade (FO)
dry hop with the same.

So would this work for a standard APA/IPA?

Yes, that looks great to me. My experience with FWH is that it actually replaces the bittering of the 60 minute hops, so I'd move the 60 minute hops to 20 minutes. But otherwise, I'd leave it as is.

You could skip the 60 minute addition, the FWH really does a good job of bittering smoothly. FWH looks good, then do 1oz of each at 15 mins (or 10), 1oz of each at FO, 1oz of each for dry hopping. Just my opinion, of course. Early hops will probably over-bitter if you're doing both a 60 and a FWH.

I'm convinced (even being new to the brewing scene) that FWH and 15-min + FO + DH is the way to go, but I'm an IPA hophead. I actually just did a CDA with only 15-min and FO additions, I'm excited about it. Apparently the hop bursting will get you sufficient bittering if you use enough hops. But I've definitely switched from 60-min to FWH with great results.

EDIT: Darn it, Yooper. Sniped my spot while I was spell-checking. :)

Thanks Yooper and silverzero. I will knock out the 60 and add it into the 10.
May try a Amarillo/ simcoe next.

Back