What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having a real man's can

ForumRunner_20131230_190237.jpg

Sampling my sour that's been going for almost 6 months now. Still needs quite a bit more sourness and the FG needs to come down at least to < 1.010. Right now it is sitting at about 1.012. Tastes good, though. No discernible off flavors, just too much body and not enough sour.

Untitled by aaron.j.lott, on Flickr

My "blow out honey porter". It was a one gallon batch that exploded. Boil off was greater than expected, had to top off, did so over star san. It was a terrible small brew day.

It has gotten slightly better over the months but it still isn't awesome, not even a little. I can at least drink it but I want something better to wash it down.

Photo1.jpg

Dank is definitely the right term for this one. Even though I'd put it behind their wheat and coffee stout still a solid offering. Excited to see what else is on the horizon for these guys

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Home Brew mobile app

1388453154811.jpg

Sampling my sour that's been going for almost 6 months now. Still needs quite a bit more sourness and the FG needs to come down at least to < 1.010. Right now it is sitting at about 1.012. Tastes good, though. No discernible off flavors, just too much body and not enough sour.

What kind of bugs do you have in there? I thought if you had Brett or lacto you needed to get it down to 1.0000 or risk bottle bombs.

Westmalle tripel. Very good.

ForumRunner_20131231_013310.jpg

Also had a Coopers original pale ale from Australia and a Beavertown Gamma Ray (hoppy pale ale).

Got home from Christmas at my parents to find my boiler is broken so i have no hot water or heating. In northern Scotland in the middle of winter, just before 2 public holidays so no chance of getting an engineer out.

Having my last G'Knight then switching to some Evil Twin I picked up today.

I asked yesterday but no one answered. What do you pay for Evil Twin bombers and six packs. I saw some yesterday all the bombers were at least $18 the four and sixes too. Wasnt sure if this shop was just gouging cause no one else has it

I asked yesterday but no one answered. What do you pay for Evil Twin bombers and six packs. I saw some yesterday all the bombers were at least $18 the four and sixes too. Wasnt sure if this shop was just gouging cause no one else has it

I paid $12 for a sixer of the hipster ale, worth that but I wouldnt pay $18

I only bought one six pack and I don't remember what it cost me. Didn't get a receipt and didn't care to ask since there wasn't a price tag on the beer. If I had to guess based on what the other stuff I bought cost, I'd say it was in the neighborhood of $15 for the six pack.

What kind of bugs do you have in there? I thought if you had Brett or lacto you needed to get it down to 1.0000 or risk bottle bombs.

That's a commonly held misbelief. It's done when it's stable. If you look at Russian River's mixed fermentation beers for example, most finish between 1.008 & 1.005 IIRC. If mixed culture beers fermented as completely as some people lead you to believe, they'd finish well below 1.000.

Dumped 2 Budweiser project 12 beers the lager and bock. Big boo. Ok not exactly dumpable but really not worth my time when I could be drinking better beer,and am at that. I cant stand that crappy artifical after taste. Like diet crap. I wanted to like it and give it a chance too. Onto a SA Juniper IPA. My thoughts: Its kind of cloying,astringant and pretty bitter. And salty- like alot of SA stuff. Normally I like bitter but not with astringent. I think I like juniper in pale ales like Rogues Juniper pale ale. SA is not bad but I was uninspired by it, at least I still got 1 of my Juniper pale ales left to drink someday.

Drinking Mhurst111's rye saison. If I didnt know better, id think it was a commercial brew. Outstanding job man! :mug:

Thanks. Glad you liked it. It was my first saison. I think I'll add peppercorn next time I brew it.

Got this in a trade from someone (I need to label bottles when I get them).

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388457635.695403.jpg

Whoever sent it thanks - very tasty.

We build up our cellars for this very reason, right?! :D

I try and build mine to have nice beers for special occasions and sharing with friends. Being able to get drunk on fancy beer when the mood strikes is just a bonus. ;)

I used WLP665 which has a mix of brett, lacto, pedio and sacch. I also added the dregs of a bottle of Lolita which, IIRC is brett only.

You need to put some more interesting dregs in there. I'm sure La Roja would help it out. I've been adding to my 665 beers. Was planning on opening a La Roja and RU-55 at least tomorrow, but my wife has a major cold and I dont want to drink those without her.

Tomorrows theday Im prone to pulling from the cellar:beer:

You've been planning for a while. What all is on the agenda?

Tomorrow is the end of bourbon season for me. I'm resolving to only buy beer and bourbon in Kentucky during 2014 and save all that money for the brewery. Might hafta grab a few bottles tomorrow while I still can. There are two more bottles of Xyauyu I can get for half price...

Its colder than ****. Had a Honkers,next up Torpedo- I think. At least I dont work the last day of 2013 like most of our other employees.

You need to put some more interesting dregs in there. I'm sure La Roja would help it out. I've been adding to my 665 beers. Was planning on opening a La Roja and RU-55 at least tomorrow, but my wife has a major cold and I dont want to drink those without her.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Trouble is I can't find beer with those interesting dregs to which you refer. La Roja is unavailable in my area and I'm always checking my bottle shops for sours with live dregs, but alas I am coming up empty handed. Might have to resort to ordering beer online.

Now on to the Evil Twin I spoke of earlier. This is my first time with Evil Twin and I must say I am not disappointed. It's not spectacular, but it's quite drinkable and tasty.

20131230_221300 by aaron.j.lott, on Flickr

You've been planning for a while. What all is on the agenda?

Tomorrow is the end of bourbon season for me. I'm resolving to only buy beer and bourbon in Kentucky during 2014 and save all that money for the brewery. Might hafta grab a few bottles tomorrow while I still can. There are two more bottles of Xyauyu I can get for half price...

A few friends over, I wouldnt really call it a bottle share. I do know coming with them is some older JP stuff amongst other good ones. Ill plan on breaking out your Saison Brett, '11 Kuhnhenn Winter Wonder, '11 JP Noel de Calabaza, '12 JP Noel, (3) '09 DeDolle Oerbier, '11 and '12 Walldorff Cobain BBA (Woodford Reserve) Black DIPA, '11 Orval ( all for me), '11 New Holland Blue Sunday and I guess just see how it progresses from there.

A few friends over, I wouldnt really call it a bottle share. I do know coming with them is some older JP stuff amongst other good ones. Ill plan on breaking out your Saison Brett, '11 Kuhnhenn Winter Wonder, '11 JP Noel de Calabaza, '12 JP Noel, (3) '09 DeDolle Oerbier, '11 and '12 Walldorff Cobain BBA (Woodford Reserve) Black DIPA, '11 Orval ( all for me), '11 New Holland Blue Sunday and I guess just see how it progresses from there.

Sounds nice. If you're not using all those JP dregs, put some in a jar and send 'em to Nuke. ;)

Hydro sample before fermentation came in at 1.051 was shooting for 1.055 not bad for second 5 gal all grain batch, but here is 26 stitch ipa finally lol

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388461487.304754.jpg

Sounds nice. If you're not using all those JP dregs, put some in a jar and send 'em to Nuke. ;)

Sorry Nuke my fermenters wont allow that lol. Its not a giant "OH WOW" list of beers but my cellar is fairly young and dont wanna drink it dry. But there's some good stuff in there. Thats why i wouldn't say bottle share, that just seems to up the expectations to wild unreachable beers.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Trouble is I can't find beer with those interesting dregs to which you refer. La Roja is unavailable in my area and I'm always checking my bottle shops for sours with live dregs, but alas I am coming up empty handed. Might have to resort to ordering beer online.

Now on to the Evil Twin I spoke of earlier. This is my first time with Evil Twin and I must say I am not disappointed. It's not spectacular, but it's quite drinkable and tasty.

20131230_221300 by aaron.j.lott, on Flickr

Yeah not bad for a 3% ipa or whatever it is? They have some pretty solid rip off beers. Their pilsner is so good the price wont piss you off after you drink it.

Another day passes and another year older. One more year closer to actually having an excuse for why I'm a cranky old man. ;)
Been working on the house all day after getting home from work and finally able to sit down for a few minutes before bed and repeating tomorrow. I'm drinking a concoction I made with my home mixed agave liqueur, lemonade and lime juice.

Latest posts

Back