All Cooler Brewing Setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I have decided to go all electric. It may take all year, but I will get it done, a piece at a time.

Is it conceivable to use coolers for all three parts (HLT, MLT, Boil Kettle)?

Will a 10 gallon water cooler work as a boil kettle? I have seen plastic buckets with heating elements used as "boil kettles". Will a cooler handle boiling temperatures for that length of time?

Just thinking out loud...

Cooler as a BK... highly advise against it. You will warp the HECK out of the inner shell. I have coolers for HTL and MLT and it is all electric, but the BK IMHO should remain metal.

That's about what I thought. Shame though, I wouldn't have to insulate a cooler.

You dont have to insulate the BK... my 5500W element will keep a NICE boil going at 65% in 40F weather.

I have boiled in a thick hdpe bucket. The inner liner of a cooler might be a bit thin. The 15 gal hdpe headpack drums have been used as kettles. Up to you i guess??

Yes, the liners in the coolers are very thin... ask anyone that uses them for HLTs... boiling in one would sorta stink. You should be able to get a keggle built for about as much as a cooler BK.

You dont have to insulate the BK... my 5500W element will keep a NICE boil going at 65% in 40F weather.

I would think so! My 2000W heatstick will keep 5 gallons at a roiling boil.

I was thinking about a 4500W element in my boil kettle, is that big enough?

4500W is large enough yes... it may take a few more minutes to get a boil, but I keep a nice boil at 65%, so I use what 3,575W to do it. I would not go lower than 4500W, you will never regret having MORE power than needed.

Ive been curious about getting a electric setup started. My main concern is burning and scorching issues during the boil. Any trouble with stuff getting stuck and burning on the element.. Any trouble with that?

No, I use an ULWD element... around 50W per square inch... no scorching, nothing burns tothe element. I would not worry about scorching, many ppl have electric BKs

Back