Chunk of "stuff" in my starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoaru99

Reaction score
Just started the second stage of a starter and noticed a chunk of dark stuff whirling around in the stirring mixture.

I know nothing fell in and I'm fairly confident I used the necessary sanitary measures in 1st stage. I didn't notice the "stuff" when I decanted so it must have been buried somewhere in the yeast layer.

Is this chunk of gunk most likely just some krausen, or?

The yeast is really healthy WPL833 if it matters.

The yeast is really healthy WPL833 if it matters.
It most definitely matters! Some yeasts get super chunky. Can you elaborate on dark stuff? If you need an explanation then peeps need details. Dark stuff sounds like contamination unless it's hopgunk. Lager yeasts & break material might get gnarly. Unfortunately I'm no lager expert.

Yeah some yeasts are much more flocculant and chunky than others. We need a pic to be sure

I had a charred bit of DME floating in a starter once, it was from when I boiled the mixture on the stove.

Best I can do is say it was a dark chunk/piece of something. I have no pic from earlier. I've seen chunky yeast, pretty sure it wasn't that.

This 2nd stage has been on the plate for only an hour or so and it's already up into the neck.of my 2L flask.

Either the chunk/piece of stuff is obscured by the yeast or it has broken up. I watched it spin for a good while and don't see it now.

This is best I can do for a picture, from a few minutes ago. (Sorry for sideways image)

20160204_211741.jpg

Whatever it was it musta broke up. Decanted off the starter this afternoon and it looked fine and dandy. Pitched now, so good or bad it's a done deal. :)

Back