Bottling after dry hopping???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaMead

Reaction score
I haven't brewed any beer yet, I'm only a year into wine, cider, and meads. I was wondering how the dry hopping works with bottling? It seems like the hops would be suspended and be sucked into bottling... I'd like a little info from all the smart people here cause it confuses me

I dry hop in the secondary carboy with the hops placed in hop sacks. Lets all the hoppy goodness out while keeping the "gunk" in. Bottle as usual . "Fishing" the used hop sack out the neck of the carboy can be a bit of a task which is why I'll use multiple hop sacks so as to keep them smaller.

I haven't brewed any beer yet, I'm only a year into wine, cider, and meads. I was wondering how the dry hopping works with bottling? It seems like the hops would be suspended and be sucked into bottling... I'd like a little info from all the smart people here cause it confuses me

That's a good question. I wonder if the hops will sink and how well they will stay down when siphoning. If there is no sack for the hops you might be able to just siphon, hopefully skipping the chunks and yeast at the bottom.

It helps to chill the beer after dry hopping. The hops will usually sink to the bottom of the fermenter. But, you can still pull hops into the siphon. You can attach a piece of sanitized steel wool or cheese cloth or nylon mesh bag to the end of your racking cane or autosiphon to act as a filter.

i never use sacks for my dry hopping, furthermore i dry-hop in primary. hops will sink after a few days. occasionally i'll need to nudge the fermentor to get them to fall. cold-crashing also helps getting them to drop and pack down. 4 days dry-hopping + 2 day cold-crash = hops are packed solid on the bottom. there is often a thin layer of yeast on top of the hops, brought down by the cold-crash. i have no problem racking to my bottling bucket with zero hops getting through. a nylon fine-mesh bag on the end of my auto-siphon is a guarantee i like to throw into the mix but i bet it's not required.

i never use sacks for my dry hopping, furthermore i dry-hop in primary. hops will sink after a few days. occasionally i'll need to nudge the fermentor to get them to fall. cold-crashing also helps getting them to drop and pack down. 4 days dry-hopping + 2 day cold-crash = hops are packed solid on the bottom. there is often a thin layer of yeast on top of the hops, brought down by the cold-crash. i have no problem racking to my bottling bucket with zero hops getting through. a nylon fine-mesh bag on the end of my auto-siphon is a guarantee i like to throw into the mix but i bet it's not required.

I have lots of hops that never sink, but an easy way to manage is to just start your siphon in the middle of the fermenter, staying above the trub and below the floating hops. Lower the siphon as the level of beer lowers. I'm an old winemaker, so I'm really proficient with racking, but anybody can do it!

You can tie a mesh bag around the siphon end and just siphon into the bottling bucket. As long as everything is sanitized it works great.

Back