WLP644 -Brett B Trois

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never used Mandarina, thought it would be a good pair. Has anyone had quick startup to quick drop out? Before I start yes I know that airlock activity is no indication of fermentation. I pitched a 1L 1.040 starter that has been started for 5 days prior to pitching into a 1.048 4 gallon wort @ 75F. Fermentation @ 80F took off STRONG within 12 hours and completely stopped ~30 hours after it started. The wort has a covering of yeast "patches" on top. Brett is a new critter for me so I'm not very well versed on its characteristics.

So no answer on this question? Is this yeast popular for having silent fermentations?

I just dry hopped my Brett Trois whit IPA with 6 oz of citra, chinook, and centennial. I am currently brewing another beer to use with the used Brett Trois slurry that I am going to primary with and then add pedio. Grain for the second beer is marris otter, Vienna, wheat, cars-pils. 1oz Styrian Golding.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401576383.763394.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401576405.769139.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401576467.709394.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401576598.513074.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401576598.513074.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 377
AmMo Pale.
22% wheat malt
20% pale ale malt
15% pilsener malt
16% crystal, thomas fawcett light (70 ebc = ~30-40 srm?)
15% thomas fawcett maris otter
4% acidulated malt
4% flaked oats
4% cara-pils

i hope that adds up to around 100%...
warrior, 60 min, 19.5 IBU
amarillo, 10 min, 0.65 g/L
mosaic, 10 min, 0.65 g/L
amarillo, 0 min, 0.65 g/L
mosaic, 0 min, 0.65 g/L
amarillo, dry hop, 1 g/L
mosaic, dry hop, 1 g/L
OG: 1.044
FG: 1.008

This beer came out really nice. such an easy drinker. when the yeasties cleared a bit more the mosaic red fruitness really popped. i'd never even tried a mosaic beer before let alone brewed one. but- the next version has el dorado instead. going for the tangerine vs grapefruity good old cascade vs ripe mango from the trois. dropped the gravity, but bumped up the gooey grains with more flaked oat, bit of raw oat, bit of rye. ditched the mixed base malts for golden promise. it's in the fermenter!

40% golden promise
22% what malt
16% light thomas fawcett crystal (~70ebc/35lov)
7% flaked oats
7% rye malt
4% acidulated
4% cara-pils
~1% raw oats
that = 105. hmm... i guess i always round up.
OG 1.036

warrior 27 ibu 60m
cascade 5.5 ibu 5m
el dorado 8 ibu 5m
dry hop cascade 1.2 g/L, el dorado 1.2 g/L

can't wait.

I recently brewed a 100% Brett IPA using Brett Brux Trois from White Labs.

I followed the Southern Lands recipe from Modern Times Brew in San Diego. They post the homebrew recipes right on their website, in a Beersmith file nonetheless! I did not have access to Calypso, so I used Mosaic instead.

I've never had this beer from Modern Times, so not sure how close I am, but I am very happy with it. I did a 2L starter for about 7 days, stepped from 750ml. SG started at 1.070 and after 17 days was at 1.010. I racked, dryhopped and kegged it, and after 5 days of carbing, its pretty decent.

Very fruity, maybe a tad sweet. Wish it was drier. Lots of pineapple. Mouthfeel is good which was a concern. Very drinkable for sure. Cannot wait to experiment more with this yeast.

Trois fermented IPA with a 6oz dry hop of citra, centennial, and chinook. One of the best tasting brews I have done yet! And it seems to have carbed up pretty good after only a few days?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402447653.980056.jpg

Yeah. We'll as sure as I could be. Fg was 1.006 and was steady there for 2 weeks.

Quick pic before cold crash and keg. Hit fg of 1.006, smells and tastes great. Not thin or watery at all. I think the mix of base malts made all of the difference. Can't wait till she's all carbed up. Entering this in a competition on June 29th.

1402773145463.jpg

I just kegged an all brett white IPA with 644. I used only mosaic and citra hops for flavoring and dry hopping. It's by far the fruitiest beer I've ever had, almost to the point of a tropical carbonated soda. That may not sound terribly appealing but it's actually a nice refreshing beer for this time of year. I've found, however, the longer you let this strain ferment the better off you are. I've done a few now and this most recent one is the best I've done because I let it ferment for over a month in the primary and then awhile longer in the keg before carbing.

yeah a bit of clearing time is essential imo, since these guys hang around in suspension a long time the beer can taste a little muddy at first, and cloud out the bright fruit flavors, suddenly it drops a bit clearer and the fruit pops!

Got a few qt jars ready for harvest. I'm ready to brew w this strain all summer.

i've been doing the chad yakobsen recommended room temperature storage of this strain and it's been working great, i've kept rinsed yeast cake a few weeks in a loosely sealed bottle and pitched directly.

pretty simple, he suggests keeping brett yeast cakes at room temp rather than in the fridge. i don't know why exactly but he says they retain higher viability. i'll take his word for it! for long term storage i make glycerol stocks and freeze.

Quick pic before cold crash and keg. Hit fg of 1.006, smells and tastes great. Not thin or watery at all. I think the mix of base malts made all of the difference. Can't wait till she's all carbed up. Entering this in a competition on June 29th.

Nice pic!
Like the hops in the background!

TD

Brewed the "Abner" clone recipe from BYO a while back. Fermented half with Conan, and half with B.Trois. Let it keg condition at room temp for a month after primary was complete. just tapped it today, and while not fully chilled, it tastes pretty amazing so far. Radically different in terms of the hop profile and bitterness compared with the beer fermented using Conan, all from the same exact wort. Very fruity to the extreme. Also a few points higher in ABV compared the the Conan version.

TD

Read this whole thread over a few days, great info.

Did my first brett beer yesterday

10.00 lb Belgian Pale Malt 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils 8.3 %
1.00 lb Rolled Oats 8.3 %

1.00 oz Zythos [10.90%] (60 min)
1.00 oz Ahtanum [4.00%] (60 min)
0.25 oz Citra [15.60%] (60 min)
0.25 oz Amarillo [9.00%] (60 min)
0.75 oz Citra [15.60%] (5 min)
0.75 oz Amarillo [9.00%] (5 min)
1.00 oz Ahtanum [4.00%] (5 min)
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.00%] (Dry Hop )
1.00 oz Citra [15.60%] (Dry Hop )
1.00 oz Zythos [10.90%] (Dry Hop )

WLP-644 Brett B Trios

Mashed @153 60mins

Yeast nutrient last 15mins

Fermwrap/temp controller set at 73 degrees

OG 1.06

IBU 82.2

I didnt end up making a starter, but already have some activity as of 6am, pitched yeast at 1pm yesterday.

Not sure how long I will dry hop this for, should I do the usual 2 weeks?

IMG_1326.jpg

I am curious to know about experiences with fermentation temps with 644. White Labs website says that 70-85F is ideal. I also have a White Labs yeast guide poster that says "85F+" as its "Optimum Fermentation Temp."
I have a beer going now (50% 2-row, 30% wheat malts, 10% triticale malt, 5% flaked oats, 1.5% acid malt, 3.5% choc rye malt). Pitched a huge starter of 644 at 68F, ramped to 72F at 24 hours, then to 75F after about another 24 hours. This thing is going crazy. Anyway, wondering if there is any point in ramping it up into the 80's. Any flavor contributions that others have seen in the high temp ranges?

Just wanted to share results here. I kept fermentation at 75 for 3 weeks. Dry hopped with Galaxy. After several weeks in a keg the overwhelming flavor that people describe to me is "vinous" with a slight tropical fruit back note. Head of my home brew club compared it to wine flavors in Midas Touch, which uses muscat grapes. I did a side by side and concur. Anyway, hadn't expected this kind of flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I threatened a few pages back to make a stout with this yeast just to see what it would do with roast. Well, i just finished dumping it down the drain but unfortunately i can still smell it. It was a very small (5L) test batch, and it was not nice. Not hideous, just didn't work at all. Basic american stout recipe but beefed up with oats and wheat, the standard trick with brett to leave body. Oddly, the one thing that the smell really reminds me of is rusty water. And stale fruit, like old nectarine juice, and then muted chocolate from the roast. Will happily try this again with a different brett strain, but this one is now relieved of all duties not pertaining to fruity hops.

RIP sucky beer.
It seems strange to me that you should be so dissapointed with it.
I brewed one of the Whitbread recipes in the Durden park beer circle book with this strain and could not hold on to the bottles for long enough.
The beer was supposed tobe conditioned for 6 months. It lasted 4!

I made a porter way back as well. It was tasty, but definitely more Belgian Dubbel dark fruit than porter like at all. I don't recall roast showing up or if it was there, it was muted or covered by the fruit. That was an extreme over pitch onto the full cake of a prior batch. Wildest ferment I've ever seen with that dark wort churning and frothing about. It was also hot as I recall. Definitely well into the 70s or 80s.

I am considering using Trois in a 5% or so beer to enter in a comp, it will have to be brewed and judged in one month. Possible? I'm thinking a pale with some fruity hops. Needs to have a minimum of 5% rye too.

Been wanting to do a 100% Brett Trois beer for a while now. Finally put in my order and should be brewing it in the next two weeks or so. I'm going with a fairly basic grain bill to allow the yeast and hops to shine. I'll be using a small amount of Magnum for some smooth bittering and then late additions which will hopefully play well with the Brett - Calypso (for some apple/pear notes), Motueka (citrusy lemon/lime), and El Dorado (watermelon candy, tropical). I'll probably sit on this in the fermenter for at least two months or so while I piece together a new kegging setup and I'll dry hop just before kegging. Here's the recipe, which may be tweaked slightly before brew day.

5.25 gallon batch
Est OG - 1.069
IBU - 26.1

9 lb Belgian Pale Malt
3 lb White Wheat
1 lb Flaked Wheat
8 oz Carafoam
8 oz Acid Malt
4 oz Rice Hulls

60 minutes - 0.25 oz Magnum
10 minutes - 0.25 oz each (Calypso, Motueka, El Dorado)
5 minutes - 0.25 oz each (Calypso, Motueka, El Dorado)
0 minutes - 0.25 oz each (Calypso, Motueka, El Dorado)
7 Day Dry Hop - 0.5 oz each (Calypso, Motueka, El Dorado)

Mash at 154 F for 60 minutes, 15 minute Mashout at 170 F

Pitch starter made from 2 vials of WLP644 Brett B Trois

I'll be building my water with a pretty balanced profile leaning a little to the hop-accentuating side with SO4/Cl ratio of 1.5.

I'll try to remember to come back and update once this one is ready to drink.

I haven't done a trois beer yet but I think it would be a shame to sit on such a nice hoppy beer for 2 months. You might miss a lot of the big bright flavors.

I entered my blonde brett into a competition and it was quite disappointing. The judges wanted more funk and tart :confused: . I guess they didn't understand what a 100% brett fermentation was. They weren't bjcp judges mind you.

I plan on making a porter as well, any tasting notes?

Recipe - 100% Brett Porter (WLP644)

7lbs. Maris Otter
1lb. Bonlander Malt
1lb. CaraMunich III
10oz. Midnight Wheat
10oz. Chocolate Malt
12oz. Honey

1oz. Fuggles @ 60 mins

It isn't your traditional rich malty porter. The mouth-feel is ever so lighter than a regular porter, and still has those really nice roasty notes. The difference though is it has such a nice, yet subtle, underlying fruity taste that somehow makes it shine. It's not even a discernible specific fruit flavor (obviously from the yeast), but just enough to compliment the roast that makes it outstanding. And for a beer that only sits at about 6%, it ages really well. I had one that was about 8 months old and it was just delicious. I have another batch that I'm going to add just a touch of coffee to. Very excited about it.

Here's an IPA I'm brewing right now, critiques welcome.

8lbs pale 2-row
1lbs rye
.5lbs crystal
.5lbs flaked oats
1lb sugar @ boil
120F 20mins
152F 60mins

1oz Galaxy @60
1oz Galaxy @5
1oz Galaxy @1
3oz Galaxy @flameout

Cool to 70F, pitch 2L starter of Trois and keep at 70F ambient.
After fermentation is done dry hop 2oz Galaxy 1oz Amarillo for 2 days then add 1oz Galaxy 1oz Amarillo for 2 more. Cold crash, keg.

Read this whole thread over a few days, great info.

Did my first brett beer yesterday

10.00 lb Belgian Pale Malt 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils 8.3 %
1.00 lb Rolled Oats 8.3 %

1.00 oz Zythos [10.90%] (60 min)
1.00 oz Ahtanum [4.00%] (60 min)
0.25 oz Citra [15.60%] (60 min)
0.25 oz Amarillo [9.00%] (60 min)
0.75 oz Citra [15.60%] (5 min)
0.75 oz Amarillo [9.00%] (5 min)
1.00 oz Ahtanum [4.00%] (5 min)
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.00%] (Dry Hop )
1.00 oz Citra [15.60%] (Dry Hop )
1.00 oz Zythos [10.90%] (Dry Hop )

WLP-644 Brett B Trios

Mashed @153 60mins

Yeast nutrient last 15mins

Fermwrap/temp controller set at 73 degrees

OG 1.06

IBU 82.2

I didnt end up making a starter, but already have some activity as of 6am, pitched yeast at 1pm yesterday.

Not sure how long I will dry hop this for, should I do the usual 2 weeks?

Ended up dry hopping for a week, looks/smells/tastes great. Stashed a 6 pack upstairs in the warmer climate for experimenting w temps, left the rest in the basement. Very excited for this brew.

So I did an IPA with this back in February. I would say it has improved insanely after conditioning for 6 months. In no way has it fallen off like any other IPA would have, rather I say it is incredibly better. I need to rebrew asap. Hopefully Ill still be able to have the time despite medic starting this month. The bitterness has fallen off quite a bit, and the fruit flavors, ripe melon and citrus are definitely in the forefront now. I wish I had saved a lot more then I have left...one bottle.

aviary_1407450699701.jpg

So I did an IPA with this back in February. I would say it has improved insanely after conditioning for 6 months. In no way has it fallen off like any other IPA would have, rather I say it is incredibly better. I need to rebrew asap. Hopefully Ill still be able to have the time despite medic starting this month. The bitterness has fallen off quite a bit, and the fruit flavors, ripe melon and citrus are definitely in the forefront now. I wish I had saved a lot more then I have left...one bottle.

Thanks for sharing! I just put an IPA in the keg about a week ago, and am not as thrilled as I would like. Hoping it ages like you say!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It was solid from the start. It just got more in your face fruity and less bitter overtime. I guess the bitterness is obvious but the fruitiness was the big surprise for me. I also did almost no boil hops, the majority were hop stand and dry hops. Hope yours improves to how you want it.

Did an all brett ipa with this strain 5-6 weeks ago. I did a2liter starter thinking that the vial contained 100 billion cells, and wanted to do lager pitching rates, as adviced in byo. I now understand that the vial contains much less, as i just read on this thread. Anyhow, the ipa attennuated fully in 3 weeks, and had a great tropical fruits smell as i transfered to secondary. Been carbonating for a week in the fridge, great juicy flavor and aroma but very hazy. But as i understand the strain is not flocculent and needs time to clear.

Moved the beer from post #792 into secondary and put in the first dry hop. SG 1.016. Second dry hop will be in 2 days, then cold crashing and hopefully kegging by Tuesday at the latest. Smelled great!

Recently did a saison with belle saison and wlp644 pitched at the same time, modest gravity of 1.062. Late hop centennial and whirlpool citra. Plan on dry-hopping with a bit of citra and Amarillo. Hoping for a juicy slightly tart saison. Low IBU and I know that aerated the brett should sour a bit along with the reports of tartness from the belle saison itself. Hopefully it'll be sour/tart enough to make it juicy and thirst quenching. Been fermenting since Tuesday.

Back