How do you tell if bottles are ok to use? (glass)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverAnalyst

Reaction score
Well, I have 20 calsberg bottles, how do I tell if they'll take the pressure of carbonation?

Alrighty then. I have a hand capper and I'll be using these bottles then. Thanks all.

Make sure they are not twist off bottles. With a hand capper, they might not seal properly - I've read that a bench capper can seal them OK. If they are twist of, you will be able to see the threads at top of the bottle.

No, they are crown tops I guess. I capped one last knight and it was a good success but I had to use a hammer to push the capper on.

BruDaddy said:
Make sure they are not twist off bottles. With a hand capper, they might not seal properly - I've read that a bench capper can seal them OK. If they are twist of, you will be able to see the threads at top of the bottle.

I'm glad I saw this...I've been saving my old twist-off beer bottles for this next brew that I just pitched a couple of days ago! I'm going to overwhelm my streets and sanitation department when they pick up the recycling next week! :eek:

Back