Questions before I start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allstar

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is my second brew. I have a question about this milk stout directions. It says, "after steep, remove grain bad and let drip dry. Add dried malt extract and 0.9 gallons of water to the brewpot and bring to a boil." Ok my question is this, to I add the dried malt straight to my boil or do I put it in a steep bag?

Also, if you have a collander that's big enough, you can let the grain bag sit there and drain without wearing out your arm.

Get the .9G of water hot (like 170F) &,with the grain bag in a colander over the pot,slowly pour it over the grains. This is called sparging,& will get more good stuff out of them. And just add the DME to the pot & stir till clumps disappear. It's just dried malt extract powder.

Oh one more question. I have a lactose powder that is suppose to be added with the extract, do I add it to the extract then pour, pour the powder in at the same time as the extract, or do I have to boil it in water first?

I'd add the Lactose & LME after flame out,stir well,then put a lid on it & let it steep for 15 mins or so while preparing the fermenter,etc.

Get the .9G of water hot (like 170F) &,with the grain bag in a colander over the pot,slowly pour it over the grains. This is called sparging,& will get more good stuff out of them. And just add the DME to the pot & stir till clumps disappear. It's just dried malt extract powder.

+1 Much better than just letting it drip. You'll get more out of your grains this way

I thought the same man,so don't sweat it. It's not as hard as it sounds. Steep the grains in ,say 160F water with a thermometer suspended in the pot for 20-30 mins. Remove grain bag to colander & sparge,allow to finish dripping. Then bring to boil,stirring down foamy hot break. add DME (1/2 if using only DME). Then do hop/zest/spice additions at appropriate intervals. Add remaining sugars.malts,etc & stir vigorously. That's the short version,not hard at all. Just sounds that way.

Then bring to boil,stirring down foamy hot break.

I just finished my 2nd brew this past weekend. I didn't do any stirring of the hot break (is this just a term for the collection of foamy bits on the surface of the wort?). I just let it sit there for the most part. What is the advantage of stirring it down or the disadvantage of not doing that?

Thanks! :fro:

I just finished my 2nd brew this past weekend. I didn't do any stirring of the hot break (is this just a term for the collection of foamy bits on the surface of the wort?). I just let it sit there for the most part. What is the advantage of stirring it down or the disadvantage of not doing that?

Thanks! :fro:

Well,my wife got a crazy hot break (I hope that's the right term for the foaming thing),& we both wore out both arms trying to keep it from foaming all over the place. All that after steeping the grains,added wheat/pilsen DME's,get through hot break,to do additions. If we didn't stir it down,it would've been all over the stove & counter! I also thought she'd loose something of the wort if we just let it go. But too much foam not to stir it down. I guess steeping grains add greatly to the foaming up thing.

Back