Midnight Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't go much more than 8%. if you want more color use a roasted dehusked grains. I just had this conversation with the brewer from North Peak and he said the midnight wheat gets really roasty/astringent if used in higher percentages.

I used a pound in my black IPA (5.5 gal). I think that was a little much because I do pick up some of the astringency that boostsr20 mentions. The brew tasted great but it had that lingering bite from the Midnight Wheat. If and when I brew another black IPA I will probably use dehusked black malt either in addition to some Midnight Wheat or instead of it.

Could you not just sparge through some roasted barley (don't mash) to give the colour, but not the bitterness?

That's similar to a method some people use. They will add the roasted barley at the end of the mash to get the color without getting much flavor. I've read that people will add the dark grains at about 5 minutes before the end of the mash.

Back