10 Gallon Cooler Sparge Lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamCanFly

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used the lid on a 10 gallon cooler for sparging? I noticed that the lid is hollow. All you would have to do is get water in the lid from the top and out through a bunch of holes on the bottom. My only problem would be attaching an inlet to the top without going through the whole thing. I just wanted to know what ya'll thought about this idea.

I do this, I have to take a picture and post it but so far it works great. I just got my chugger pump so i don't have to lift it all anymore!

My sparge arm is 1/2" cooper tubing, held in place by 1/2" silicon tubing and the tubing has been soldered in certain places to hold its shape.

Here are my pictures let me know if you have questions:

1450-mash-tun.jpg

Top of the cooler:
1447-top-lid.jpg

Bottom of the cooler:
1448-bottom-lid.jpg

1446-mash-tun.jpg

1445-mash-tun.jpg

I dont lose that much heat. maybe about 1-3 degrees over an hour.

i'd love to see the picture...do you lose more heat with the whole in the top of the lid? i batch sparge, but i'd love a better way to recirculate my wort before lautering...

Please post some pictures of this. I'm loving the idea, but dont really know how to execute it.

Pictures posted. Before I get a bunch of "I cant see the pictures" posts, the last time I had posted photos I was told you need to be a supporter to view the photos. If you can view my profile check out "My Gallery" under "60 QT Cooler Mash Tun"

I think I've got an idea about how I want to do mine. If I don't get called in to work tomorrow I'll give it a try.

Has anyone ever used the lid on a 10 gallon cooler for sparging? I noticed that the lid is hollow. All you would have to do is get water in the lid from the top and out through a bunch of holes on the bottom. My only problem would be attaching an inlet to the top without going through the whole thing. I just wanted to know what ya'll thought about this idea.

I realize this is different then what you are looking for but I know "paulthenurse" uses a lid with roughly the same type of arm but his is circular so he can move the lid from his LT to his MT.

By going this route you can elminate the amount of holes you drill into the lid and reduce the heat lose through a bunch of holes.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back