I messed up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishwater

Reaction score
I was under the false impression that in the secondary will continue the fermentation, so I messed up and moved my batch to secondary. So now my gravity has been 1.020 for 3 days. the final gravity should be 1.012. So what do I do now. HELP

you can always repitch the yeast...what was your original gravity? and what are you brewing?

post your recipe and you can calculate origional grav....ide say get your hands on more yeast and pitch it. Dont aerate because you dont want to oxidize the alcohol already formed....throw the yeast on top and lightly swirl it. NO BUBBLES. Then wait until its done fermenting this time, and transfer it to another secondary.

Don't repitch...Give the carboy a good shake and wrap a blanket around it AND LEAVE IT ALONE for a couple weeks...then check the gravity again. It should finish out, with patience.

irishwater said:
Revvy
Even in secondary?

Yeah..you want to let it finish up fermenting now that you moved it....you don't want to bottle it until it has finished.

Just gently give the carboy a rock a couple times to swish the yeast up into suspension and warm it up with a blanket.

If there is a layer of sediment now formed on the bottom of your secondary, then yes. Give it a swirl to get that back up into the beer - that is yeast. If you don't have a layer of sediment (which is very unlikely) you can add more yeast.

revvy
You have to be getting tired of me. I started brewing hating the hydrometer because the first once I got was broken. So, I got in a bad habit. I will break that habit
THANK YOU

irishwater said:
revvy
You have to be getting tired of me. I started brewing hating the hydrometer because the first once I got was broken. So, I got in a bad habit. I will break that habit
THANK YOU

Break the habit NOT the hydrometer :D It's your friend...It's how the beer talks to you....There's really no other way to know what's going on during the fermentation process...Bubbles in an airlock don't tell you, smell doesn't tell you, looks really don't tell you. The hydrometer is like the babel fish that translates beer language into human. ;)

You're too nervous about your beer, this isn't a weak newborn baby...even making small n00b mistakes like racking into secondary early isn't going to ruin it....People have put their entire unsanitized arm into a bucket of beer to fish something out and their beer still turned out fine.

We all make mistakes now and then, no matter what are level of expertise...And USUALLY the beer is very forgiving.

Heck I racked a beer into a carboy and realized afterwords that I hadn't sanitized it...and guess what? The beer turned out fine anyway.

Yeast has been eating sugar water and peeing beer for millenia, most of the time without our help....Just step away from the carboy for a couple weeks and let the yeasties do their job.

Since your primary is open, brew another beer, it'll take your mind off the first one...only don't do what you did in the previous batch...use the knowlege that you've learned in the last few days...and if you are contemplating doing something 'cause you think you did something wrong, ask us first.

Everything will be copacetic with your first beer.

:mug:

Revvy said:
Yeah..you want to let it finish up fermenting now that you moved it....you don't want to bottle it until it has finished.

Just gently give the carboy a rock a couple times to swish the yeast up into suspension and warm it up with a blanket.

carful because if you get too much air in you will get off flavors at the finish. Hes right though- you can try to rouse the yeast back into the semifermented beer. right now though if you assume you started at 1.062-1.065 and now your at 1.020 your sitting at about 5.5-6% ABV. Your yeast might have finished off.

scinerd3000 said:
carful because if you get too much air in you will get off flavors at the finish. Hes right though- you can try to rouse the yeast back into the semifermented beer. right now though if you assume you started at 1.062-1.065 and now your at 1.020 your sitting at about 5.5-6% ABV. Your yeast might have finished off.

As long as he keeps the carboy sealed he won't be getting any air in, he's just swishing up the yeast.

revvy-keep in mind its been transfered to a secondary so theres no co2 taking up the headspace in the carboy. i could be wrong but im assuming since its no longer fermenting that theres O2 in there. i havent had oxidation problems so i cant be sure but im always careful once it starts fermenting.....however with almost 1800 posts i think im more apt to trust you

scinerd3000 said:
revvy-keep in mind its been transfered to a secondary so theres no co2 taking up the headspace in the carboy. i could be wrong but im assuming since its no longer fermenting that theres O2 in there. i havent had oxidation problems so i cant be sure but im always careful once it starts fermenting.....however with almost 1800 posts i think im more apt to trust you

There's always SOME co2 taking up headspace....there is some small amount of yeast activity that happens just from the mere kicking up of yeast during racking over. Haven't you noticed that for a couple days some little bits of stuff comes up to the surface (even some fizzy yeast colonies) for a couple of days? And sometimes you even get airlock bubbling initially as the co2 outgasses any oxygen...THe yeast doesn't just fall into a coma...The have a housewarming party!

And since you rack into usually a 5 gallon vessel the little bit of co2 kicked up still cushions the beer.

If there was big risk of O2 hitting our beer, then we wouldn't ever want to use a secondary....Just like if there were a big risk of damaging our beer when we take hydro readings, we would advocate doing that either....

In his case he racked too early anyway, so he has fermentation still happenning so there's plenty of co2 to protect his beer. So he'll be fine.

We're not talking about a vigorous shake to kick up foam here, just a grasping of the neck of the carboy and carefully swirling it around gently.

Back