Gluten Free Yeast Energizer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amalthea

Reaction score
I searched the forum for answers, but after reading several pages of possibilities without really finding an answer, my ADHD patience has worn out, so I apologize if I missed the answer here someplace, and am asking twice.

But I have Celiac problems. And I am EXTREMELY sensitive to it. I have been making mead. Making fruit meads, I haven't had to worry too much about yeast energizer, since they seem to mostly do okay without. But I purchased some varietal honey on a trip across country, and wanted to try making mead as close to plain honey as I can get.

So far, with a couple days of searching, I haven't managed to find any sources of yeast energizer willing to call themselves gluten free. In the process I have done enough reading to figure out that many are probably using a malt and yeast combo as part of the formula, which is why they aren't gluten free.

But I haven't managed to find a lot of information about any actual recipes for DIY yeast energizer. I have found a few people asking if a multi-vitamin might work, but not getting an answer. I have also found a few suggestions about bee pollen, but upon further reading, it is totally inconsistent what is even in bee pollen, and that makes it difficult to predict success.

I have also seen a few people say not to worry about it unless you're on very acid or filtered water. The house does have filtered water, though it is still pretty hard water, given the toilet ring build up if we don't stay very on top of the subject.

And the big companies don't seem to publish much about what is actually in their energizer, so all I can really find is some of the original science on the subject that initiated the use of yeast energizer.

I have also seen a few people who are clearly much less sensitive than I am suggest that it would be under 20 PPM to just use it, so it was safe. I got glutened the other day from salad grown in wheat straw and not well enough washed. So my reactivity to it is pretty extreme.

Has anyone had any luck finding a commercial yeast energizer that is actually gluten free, and if not, is anyone willing to share an actual recipe they use to accomplish yeast energizer beyond just B vitamins and Diammonium Phosphate?

Thanks in advance.

A lot of people use Fermaid K + Diammonium Phosphate (DAP). Part of the preference for Fermaid K is that the ingredients are public. According to ScottLabs, it contains the following:

Magnesium Sulfate
Calcium Pantothenate
Inactive Yeast
Thiamine
Folic Acid
Niacin
Diammonium Phosphate

Others prefer Fermaid O to Fermaid K, the main difference being that O contains an organic form of nitrogen (as opposed to DAP in Fermaid K). I'm not 100% sure on the exact ingredients, though.

Still, considering it is for health reasons, your best bet is to contact the manufacturer of whatever yeast nutrient and energizer you would like to use, as they will be able to confirm whether or not it is safe for you to use. Most mead recipes you'll see around here and GotMead tend to use either Fermaid K + DAP or just Fermaid O, though.

If manufacturers are unresponsive to your requests for information, don't fret! You can make up a lot of nutrition with yeast hulls (just boiled bread yeast) and fruit, like raisins (see: JAOM). You can find detailed nutrient info for some common fruit over at GotMead. Just search for the "All Natural BOMM" and "JAO all Natural BOMM" topics in the GotMead forum.

On a side note, while I know it's been done with beer, you could also try to use Clarity Ferm, a product from White Labs that reduces gluten. I don't know much about it, myself, but I know there has been a lot of discussion about it in the beer forums here on HBT.

Not sure if Mamite or Vegemite is gluten free or not but that was used as an energiser for mead while raisins were used as nutrients.

I spoke with a representative from Scott Laboratories today. They distribute the yeast energizer, Fermaid K, for the manufacturer, Lallemand. She told me that Fermaid K is indeed gluten and allergen free. No cereals or grains are used in the making of Fermaid K. However, she could only make this claim about the Fermaid K sold on Scott Labs, site:

https://scottlab.com/fermentation-cellar/product-type=nutrients/brand=lallemand/fermaid-k-fermk

Since this product comes in a 2.5 Kg package and most home brewers are going to use far less, if bought in smaller quantities, it comes from someone re-packaging it. So you would have to be sure it was actually Fermaid K in order to be sure it was gluten free.

Back