using boil pot for bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see two problems, probably minor but...

• Kettles can be difficult to sanitize with non-heat methods, especially if you using weldless fittings. It works for the boil because of the heat.
  • Personally, I wouldn't do it unless you are using all stainless fittings. I'd be concerned about leeching lead from brass fittings. I'm not a metallurgist, but I know the pH of finished beer is a lot lower than regular water. I'm not sure if the contact time is enough to warrant a concern, but it's kind of like copper in fermented beer. I just don't do it.

I have a very simple kettle. There are no fittings of any kind. It's one piece of ss with handles on the outside, and that's it. Like a cooking pot, not like a brew kettle. Don't think there's any reason why sanitizing would be difficult.

It's OK to use the boil pot. I used a bucket/boil pot without a spigot for years to bottle. It is more work if you are siphoning the beer though. However, it is much easier with a spigot. Luck - Dwain

I have a very simple kettle. There are no fittings of any kind. It's one piece of ss with handles on the outside, and that's it. Like a cooking pot, not like a brew kettle. Don't think there's any reason why sanitizing would be difficult.

I have a pot like that. I have used in times of desperation when I have been using my bottling bucket as a fermenter. I would rack from the fermenter/bottling bucket to the pot, clean up the bucket and then rack back into it for bottling from it's spigot. Its a bit of a PITA, but it hasn't caused any problems. I would have just bottled from the SS pot, but I would miss my spigot too much. :cross:

no fittings of any kinds? if it doesn't have a spigot, why are you considering it for a bottling bucket?

One less thing to buy. I don't have my old bottling bucket anymore. And the only thing available here that I would know is food grade plastic are some plastic wine fermenters that I think also have no spigot.

Never had a problem bottling with a siphon and racking cane.

I must ask you; you live off highway 70 thru the Feather River near the Belden area towards Chester? I recall that name going to Belden back in the
60's and 70's. Quincy was my favorte resting place riding bike thru the canyon. had to ask. Carl stuck on an island.....

PM'd you

9 10

Back