can't get my kettle clean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citabria

Reaction score
So I got my hands on a free but slightly used turkey fryer and 30qt kettle from my in-laws. The kettle still had grease in it from Thanksgiving. I cleaned it out, scrubbed with a little detergent, rinsed thoroughly, then filled it with water and PBW and let it sit overnight. The grease is gone, but there are still a few spots at the bottom of the pot that I cannot get off. They are a dark red and black color, like something is scorched on. Is there anything I can do to get this off? I was thinking buffing or wire brushing it off or using something abrasive, but I don't know if this will destroy it for brewing. Soft scouring pads aren't working. I do realize the oxide layer is be gone. I plan on restoring it.

I would scrub it w/ a scotch-brite and detergent or any of those synthetic type of kitchen scrub pad ( they look like a brillo pad). Try a little piece of sanpaper or a brass brush...The only thing I would not use is a steel wire brush as this can leave small amounts of ferous metal on the area.

Then again...if they are that minor and hard to get off, perhaps they are some sort of stain that I doubt would affect the brew.

Just boil a gallon of water and some DME for an hour. If the stain is still there it isn't coming off in your beer and is harmless.

Linc

Thanks for the help. I scrubbed some more tonight and got 90% of it off. The only stains left are in little dings at the bottom of the kettle and we're talking very little shallow pits. I'm thinking that maybe I should call it good, rinse like crazy, and boil water some for about an hour then make a decision if I should brew with it or not.

Try one of these, or a generic brand.

mr-clean-magic-erasers.gif

I don't know what the heck is in these things but they're amazing. They even clean up baked on boilover off a stovetop, and even the metal drip pans under the burners. No serious brewer should be without a box of these puppies!

I even mounted a pair of them on a dollar store sponge mop. Makes the bathroom and kitchen floor sparkly clean with just tap water.

Back