read then think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spottedbass

Reaction score
let me start by saying that i think this is the best site i have ever seen !!! i have learned a ton from here...thanks. now let me say this, i know that some of you guys have been at this a long time, and you have seen everything in the world posted on here. and i know how it must get under your skin to answer the same dumb questions, over and over, ex. i need my beer finished for my b-day and its 5 days away... i thought i could just carb quicker so i put 3 cups sugar in before bottlin... 2 days in primary and bottled is this o.k.? now i no what your thinkin... i laugh to sometimes, but they are guys on here im so impressed with..my hats off to them, i would love to shake there hand. and its the same guys tryin to help. now there is a select few who act like the only reason they answer anyone is to try to put them down or make fun of them, and to make other guys laugh at the response they gave. well everyone starts somewhere, just becouse i may never want to be a ag brewer, and am o.k. with extract with steeped grain, dosen't mean i don't take this serious. just becouse you brew ag, dosen't mean everyone is beneath you!!! this site has helped me a lot, it also helps others to. remember when you first started, dumber than a box of rocks, now look you can make your own beer....what they want to. smile and say i did this. i have seen guys that has been at this awhile afraid to post, start out buy saying i no this may be a dumb question, and im sorry for asking. it shouldn't be this way. ask what you want and expect an honest reply,and not be afraid to ask. to truly understand where you are at....you must remember where you started. and please help someone else along the journey.:off:

spottedbass said:
i have seen guys that has been at this awhile afraid to post, start out buy saying i no this may be a dumb question, and im sorry for asking. it shouldn't be this way. ask what you want and expect an honest reply,and not be afraid to ask. to truly understand where you are at....you must remember where you started. and please help someone else along the journey.:off:

The guys you've seen that were afraid to post... Have we been less than gentle with you, bass? Remember, sometimes we get druck and ornery too. Just ignore the posts that don't help you and pick out the ones that do. We promise to be nicer.

i wasn't talking about myself. just what i've seen here. i watched this site for months, before i brewed my first batch, before i made a post, and yes i have read, the joy of homebrewing and homebrew made easy. i tried to learn everything i could before i made the jump. but with all i read, it's not like doing it for yourself the first time. it made me happy to know, help was only a click away. but i think that help comes with a price for some guys. why are we here? to help one another? to share our great brews? or should it be just one big family of homebrewers meeting on a common level? after all the best beer you will ever drink is the one you made yourself !!! i lean on you, you lean on me, we lean on one another. just my 2 cents.

I don't think the beer will be very good after only two days in primary, two weeks can be ok, but two days the fermentation will probably not be finshed.

For bottling, I don't think it helps to add more sugar than the 3/4 cup or 5oz. More sugar will not convert to CO2 faster because the yeast does that at its own pace, in fact, more sugar will probably cause bottle bombs because too much CO2 will be produced if the bottles sit for long enough. But it might not happen in 5 days because 5 days isn't long enough to bottle condition with a normal amount of corn sugar - although, because fermentation might still be active in your beer, you might get some bubbles because the CO2 that normally just blows out the airlock during fermentation will stay in the bottle.

You might get something that you can drink, you might get a lot of exploded bottles. Really it's not enough time to make beer. I know that's not what you wanted to hear!

Wow! I agree with cd2448! I would be scared of bottle bombs! I think I would pour all those bottles back in the bucket and wait two more weeks.

More to the OP than a reply to Fingers, but....
Fingers said:
Remember, sometimes we get druck and ornery too. Just ignore the posts that don't help you and pick out the ones that do.
Yeah, honestly! This is a board dedicated to brewers. Brewers are people who make beer. Now, you have to understand that a large percentage of people who brew beer also like to... now I know this will come as a shock to you... but people who brew beer as a hobby generally also like to drink beer.

And it's just as Bubba sang it, "It's 5 o'clock somewhere". Since we are an international board, you can pretty much bet that there are more than a few people in the bag and posting on this site at any given time of the day or night. Hey, I'd rather have them posting here and being an ass than driving home under the influence.

Finally, it's not having answered the question 10 times that gets under anybody's skin... it's having answered it 10 times in the past day and a half. Surely, you can appreciate the difference there. It's not that we aren't patient, it's not even that we really expect the newbs to search. We just expect them to maybe look at the other topics on the forum page and see if maybe there's already an active discussion regarding their question. I really don't think that's too much to ask.

We promise to be nicer.
I promise to be ornerier. Or hornerier. One or the other.

Being a n00b myself (joined in late August), I can not remember a single time that I was treated pooly on this board. No smartass answers, no sarcastic use the search replys. But I dove in and read 30+ pages deep in most categorys and used the search before most questions.
Maybe the title of a good thread would be: Search, read and then ask. You learn much more that way too.

SuperiorBrew said:
Being a n00b myself (joined in late August), I can not remember a single time that I was treated pooly on this board.

I can believe that. But then you go overboard...

No smartass answers...

I mean, come on, that's just off the wall absurd. You expect us to believe that you've NEVER had a smartass response? Personally, I try to make 3 smartass responses to every serious response. And I'm not the only one. So try to keep your praise in the realm of the possibly true. Thank you.

:mug:

Sir Humpsalot said:
I can believe that. But then you go overboard...

I mean, come on, that's just off the wall absurd. You expect us to believe that you've NEVER had a smartass response? Personally, I try to make 3 smartass responses to every serious response. And I'm not the only one. So try to keep your praise in the realm of the possibly true. Thank you.

:mug:
I probably should have said undeserved smartass response.
Well I guess I cant say that anymore :D

Five days to brew beer??? Gimme a break. Here's how to do it: Take LME, hops, water and yeast (reinheitsgebot ONLY!!!) ... put all in kettle and boil like hell for an hour. Cool to room temp. Bottle it. Chill it. Drink it. About 5 HOURS!!! NOT DAYS!!!

I knew your post was a hoax. 5 days indeed.

Latest posts

Back