Keezer collar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callback79

Reaction score
Hi, I searched a lot and it seems like there's a lot of way to build the collar. Many seems to use 2x4s and glue to fix it to the freezer. I would like to use a wider collar, this is a reference:

My question is: Is it me or this guy is not using any 2x4s ? I don't see how this collar stands on the freezer. Glued ?

Any idea ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

Are you just after wider, or taller as well?

Wider is just a matter of putting some 1 by boards around the outside of a 2x4 (or much better 2x6) collar. Taller gives you a few more options. You can do two 2x4 frames and separate them with a 1 by board.

Bob

Hi

Are you just after wider, or taller as well?

Wider is just a matter of putting some 1 by boards around the outside of a 2x4 (or much better 2x6) collar. Taller gives you a few more options. You can do two 2x4 frames and separate them with a 1 by board.

Bob

I saw another video of this guy maybe 20 minutes after I posted this message, I wasn't able to edit my message due to moderation on this forum.

Anyway I would like to add width to the collar without making the keezer too high.

I also try to see how I can add a molding on top of the collar like in the video. The space between the top of the lid and the top of the collar seems to be the same with or without the molding. Just compare the thumbnail of both videos (previous one vs next one). Not sure if what I want to explain is simple to understand, sorry for my english.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
My collar is a 10x1 pieces of finished pine. Mine is held to the lid by using 'Liquid Nails'. It comes in a tube similar to chaulk. Stuff is super strong.

I made mine out of 2 layers. the inner box is made out of 1x8's that is flush with the freezer outside walls. The outside box are 1x10's on the front and sides and a small section in the middle to keep it from sliding off. The pieces are glued and finish nailed to the inner box over hanging on the bottom. I just detached the hinges from the freezer and moved it up to the top of the collar. I did not attach it to the freezer i put a foam gasket on the bottom of the inside box. The weight from the collar and the over lap of the outside pieces are the only thing holding the collar on.

Back