Best Malt Mill ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
I know this ? should be in the equipment section, sorry. I am doing a little upgrade in my equip and wanted to know what is the best mill out there. I am looking at the Barley Crusher and it looks good , anyone have it? whatdya think ? Other suggestions ?
Cheers

buy nothing other than the crankandstein malt mill. I am telling you it is the best investment i have made, well, other than the CFC i built, since i have started brewing!

I think they're all equally good. Buy one with adjustable rollers. I have the Crank since it's a good price, but I don't see how it's different from another mill of equal quality and options.

Cheesefood said:
I think they're all equally good. Buy one with adjustable rollers. I have the Crank since it's a good price, but I don't see how it's different from another mill of equal quality and options.

I agree. This question pops up periodically, and the answer is always the same: "I have 'Brand X', and I love it." Probably most of us have ever used more than one of them.

Having just gone through the decision process myself, I have a CrankandStein on the way. Like Cheese said, the big names all seem comparable and excellent, so my final decision came down to the $$

Barley Crusher, Hands down. Adjustable mills & Lifetime warranty. Then again, I'm biased because I have one. :D

Again, a debatable subject...IMO, it depends on how much grain you will crush for a batch/year.

I don't have a mill (yet).

Since I only crush up to 10 oz for a batch (if I use any grain at all) I will invest in a Corona mill for $45. (the rolling pin bit is getting a little tiring) versus another for $150. It just makes economic sense.

I've I were an AG'er then the sky is the limit...don't buy cheap. Get exactly what you want/need for the mission.:D

I took an HBT poll before I got mine, and the Barley Crusher won, so that's what I bought. I haven't used it yet, but I'm holding HBT directly responsible for its quality *shakes fist in general direction of HBT*...

hehe...;)

I'm happy with my Barley Crusher - increased yield 6% over store crush with factory settings. My only peeve so far is the shaft doesn't have a flattened portion to lock the handle screw down - I had to crank that screw down HARD before I was able to mill without the handle slipping. I suspect it is round for those of you who mill with a drill...

Got Trub? said:
I'm happy with my Barley Crusher - increased yield 6% over store crush with factory settings. My only peeve so far is the shaft doesn't have a flattened portion to lock the handle screw down - I had to crank that screw down HARD before I was able to mill without the handle slipping. I suspect it is round for those of you who mill with a drill...

This is for Got Trub (sorry.. not trying to ruin your thread)
If you have access to a grinder, then make a flat spot on the round drive shaft this will help seat the set screw. It won't take much to make a flat area. It will be much better than trying to seat the set screw on the round shaft. ;)

Thanks RoqK, I tried filing it but the metal is too hard. I guess I could get lazy and do the power drill thing but it takes away from the "Brewing Experience" for me. There is something gratifying in making your own beer by hand and for me that includes milling the grain by hand.

Does anyone know if phil and mike are still arguing about mills on RCB? My ISP doesn't have a usenet server, so I don't read it anymore- those were some of the longest threads I've ever seen.

my barley crusher is two mo. old and there is now a flat milled into the shaft. not a very technical job of crushing the grain so i suppose that any mill will be about the same with a similiar setup. the reason i bought the BC is that it was ready to use 1 min out of the box. my eff. did jump from 65(store crush)to 78% and has been consistent since then

For WIW,

Here's a different twist on the crankandstein (3 roller, adjustable)...not only is the crush perfect (eff. 90+%), I decided to just go fast with the grind and cranked the half-inch drill all the way up.... 22 lbs in, like, eighty seconds, crush still perfect. The metal wasn't even warm after. If I owned a homebrew supply store, this is what I would get. -p

Thanks guy's for the opinions. I see how 1 would be biased with the mill they own. I guess It comes down to the crank and the BC. I will do a little more research and make my decision. Thanks and Cheers

Maybe this is flawed logic, but I figured that if if prices were similar, but the one (BC) came with a base and hopper, and the other (Crankenstein) did not, then the latter had more of the cost (and presumed quality) in the actual mill itself.

I'm the handy type and could (and did) make my own base and hopper so that was not an issue. If you are not so handy and want something to use IMMEDIATELY out of the box, then go with the BC.

Either way, get an adjustable one!

Yeah , I most definetly will get an ajustable one I think I am leaning to the barley crusher, except now I see this JSP mill with 10" rollers and I'm thinking long term. I eventually want a 7 barrel system. I need to do more research.

It's two rollers, some gears, and a turning rod. It's not exactly a Ferrari. Don't overthink it. There's very little differentiation between them, and very few people probably own both or have more commitment to one over the other.

gabe said:
Yeah , I most definetly will get an ajustable one I think I am leaning to the barley crusher, except now I see this JSP mill with 10" rollers and I'm thinking long term. I eventually want a 7 barrel system. I need to do more research.

I have a 7BBL system you can buy
PM me I can give you the 411
JJ

Barley Crusher! Barley Crusher!

MyBarleyCrusher.jpg

This one has the 15# hopper. It's very sweet. Can't wait to use it tomorrow.

:rockin: :rockin:

Bike n Brew is correct about most folks only having used one. I have only personally used my JSP maltmill and couldn't be happier. I have friends that have the Barley Crusher and swear by it, others that have one of the Crankenstein models and they love it. I really don't think there is a bad mill amongst the big names, so go with how you feel. I honestly have yet to hear anyone complain on how they hate their mill.

Jason

Two questions about the Corona:

What's the best procedure for adjusting it?
How does one attach a drill to it?

I have a Porkert mill, which is very similar to a Corona. There isn't much you can do to adjust them (hence the strong preference by most for the roller mills mentioned above). It has two rotatating plates that crush/grind the grains. The gap can be adjusted by a screw on the front, but the plates wobble a bit, so it is far from perfect. If you have a rotary tool, I have heard that you can grind down the spot where the plates connect to the adjustment knob to make it wobble less. Otherwise, it is just trial and error.

To attach it to a drill, just take off the screw that tightens on the handle, and remove the handle. Take that screw to your local hardware store and match it up with a bolt about 1.5" long with the same threads. Cut the head off the bolt with a hacksaw, and thread it into the mill. That's it.

I get about 70% - 75% efficiency with my mill, which is acceptable for AG brewing. I am still relatively new to AG brewing (6 AG brews), so I may come up a bit still. Others have reported 80% efficiency with their crush from a Porkert/Corona mill. But the big problem I see with this mill is that the crush can be inconsistent (some grains are pulverized to flour, some are left basically whole). I worry that this inconsistent crush might lead to inconsistent brews, which is a problem for AG brewing, particularly if you are doing recipe development and/or competition brewing. I think a Barley Crusher is my next brewing purchase.

My buddy and I :tank: invested in the Barley Crusher, standard hopper size. We power it with a 3/8" drill. Can crush 20 lbs. of grain in under 5 minutes, and the estimated efficiency of our brewery is pushing 80%.

I also do AG with a Corona mill b/c I'm somewhat of a cheapskate and the idea of milling by hand seems more involved. It is a little difficult to adjust how you want it, but if you play with it a little bit it comes out ok. I read alot about mills before deciding to go the cheap route, and if I were to spend good money on one I think the Barley Crusher is the best. might even buy one in the future if I decide to upgrade.

Back